DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals,

A friend of mine owns a 98 eclipse gs and recentley spun a rod bearing. I have built several 4g63's and worked on a few 420a's so we are contemplating a rebuild and upgrading to a light turbo build. (I am way more of a turbo engine expert than a NT engine expert)

I have some questions about a few ideas I have been tossing around. I did search and didnt find much that directley answered my question(s).

Will an SRT turbofold bolt up to our 420a heads like it does for the DOHC 420a neon guys? And does it clear the radiator, etc?

Also, I know our 420a motors are 2.0's, but will SRT4 pistons and rods fit our engines? This is a serious question for people who have built engines. SRT4 pistons and rods are sold as a set from dodge CHEAP, maybe this would be an upgrade for turboing these motors? Maybe we would just need to get a stratus block/crank and then put these pistons/rods in? I know neon guys do this all the time.

Thanks for any input or thoughts!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same heart and soul, and I said SRT :D These are some nice parts that are affordable and could benefit for the NA community. Im sure Im not the first to think of this.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Archertsi said:
Hi guys and gals,

A friend of mine owns a 98 eclipse gs and recentley spun a rod bearing. I have built several 4g63's and worked on a few 420a's so we are contemplating a rebuild and upgrading to a light turbo build. (I am way more of a turbo engine expert than a NT engine expert)

I have some questions about a few ideas I have been tossing around. I did search and didnt find much that directley answered my question(s).

Will an SRT turbofold bolt up to our 420a heads like it does for the DOHC 420a neon guys? And does it clear the radiator, etc?

Also, I know our 420a motors are 2.0's, but will SRT4 pistons and rods fit our engines? This is a serious question for people who have built engines. SRT4 pistons and rods are sold as a set from dodge CHEAP, maybe this would be an upgrade for turboing these motors? Maybe we would just need to get a stratus block/crank and then put these pistons/rods in? I know neon guys do this all the time.

Thanks for any input or thoughts!
Hi! Good to see your still around!

You have to get a 2.4 from a "cloud car" and build that and put it in. As far as the exhaust manifold, I wouldn't know. I cant see why it would be diferant as I have put neon engines in 2g gs eclipse before.

2gnt.com guys do it all the time I thought? I'd check over there for specifics.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
The head is different on the 2 motors, the exhaust is on the back of the motor in a neon and in the front in a 2g n/t, so that probably answers the question.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
1gawd4g63 said:
The head is different on the 2 motors, the exhaust is on the back of the motor in a neon and in the front in a 2g n/t, so that probably answers the question.
Then wtf did I put in? Holy fuck junkyards are retarded sometimes. I guess it came out of an eclipse as well?:dunno:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Yeah, it would pretty much have to be from an eclipse if the exhaust ports are pointing towards the front of the car

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just find a 2.4 stratus or any of the cloud cars block which are 2.4 420a. Uses the srt-4 crank pistons and rods. Use the 2.0 420a head with a cometic hg. Then use MSII ecu and tune it works perfectly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
On my old eclipse rs i ordered a turbo kit for a dodge neon with the 420a, everything bolted up fine the bolt patter is the same. This is the same difference between the turbo eclipses and the newer evos the head is just flipped. I have often wondered if the block from an evo would bolt into the turbo eclipse.:dunno:

·
Registered
416 Posts
I do not believe the SRT-4 turbo manifold would fit the 420a head due to the engines ports being flipped. Also the rods from a 2.4L Srt-4 engine will work in the 2.0 block, but pistons, no. You should get some JE or Wiseco forged pistons to connect them to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am build a 2.4L motor for a 99 eclipse gs right now. started with a 96 breeze block, there are a lot of different things you have to do and take into account on this swap. First you need the earlier style engine 95-97 with a steel pan and if you can a manual timing tensioner. I say use the steel pan engine because its easier for everyone to cut the pan to add clearance for the cross brace for the engine, the later style engine 98-99 and so on have A aluminum pan which is cast. Not the easiest pan to have to cut and mod for the engine, next using the srt4 parts in the engine:
pistons
rods
bearings
oil pump
timing tensioner
and I am sure there is something i am forgetting, then bolt your head onto the block and you have a "stroker" 420a motor that can be turbo and handle 500hp.

I plan on posting a build thread my block is still at the machine shop and other stuff is in shipping and it takes time.

and i have never seen a neon with the intake on the back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts