DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone heard of making a fwd gs-t in to awd? i know what your gonna say . i have way to much $$$$ in it to sell it and buy a gsx.
its a 99 and i bought brand new. i wasnt going to drag race but i hooked on it real fast. and i am tierd of a almost awd killing my extremely modified fwd.
just wanted to hear some opinions and to know if any one else has considered this.
thanks
tony

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's gonna take a lot of money. Their is a lot of reinforcment that has to be done. There is a lot of technical information I'm not too familiar with but the best people to call would be at tadmotorsports.com.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Yeah TAD rocks, but they will say the same thing.... Sell and buy an AWD

------------------
1992 Eagle Talon TSI
13.8 @ 105.3 mph AT
Being Converted to 5-spd

·
Registered
112 Posts
You would need lot of money. $7000? You need the tranny, axles, new downpipe, exhaust, suspension, AWD gas tank, etc etc etc etc etc etc....

Jeff
97 GST

·
Registered
241 Posts
Exactly, and do it before you get too many miles.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peter 92TSI:

Yeah TAD rocks, but they will say the same thing.... Sell and buy an AWD

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys
i own my shop so labor would be free.
i just wanted a few opinions and to see if any one eles has done it before.
a fuel cell is on the way any way and the exhaust is easy to modify and i already have a 3" awd downpipe on it.

thanks
tony

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, it has been done. Covering your own labor would cut the cost alot of course. I don't think the exhaust and the fuel cell is the major part, but the rear suspension and the drivetrain is. Anyways, good luck with your project and I think the list would appreciate if you post the results (time, labor, cost, etc.) when you finish.

Jeff
97 GS-T

·
Registered
871 Posts
the whole shell(unibody)is different. the only thing that is the same from a awd to a fwd shell is the mounting points for the body panels. where are you gonna run the driveshaft?? where are you gonna mount the rear axle?? sure i guess you could cut the center of the floor open for the driveshaft to sit into, but try to drive it on the street or launch it and you'll probably split the body in half. the awd shell is so much more solid then the fwd is. i'm sure if you had money to burn and all the time in the world you could do it. but why??? it still wouldn't be a true gsx. i don't think you could even touch a project like this for under $15k. it's not just a matter of getting an awd driveline.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
491 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>i don't think you could even touch a project like this for under $15k. it's not just a matter of getting an awd driveline.

bill
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This actually has been done on a 1G, but I forget the name of the shop that did it. They had to replace the floor pan, rear suspension, drivetrain, fuel tank, etc. etc. etc. They also had to fabricate a lot of small things, if I remember right, due to the suspension mounting points being different or something. All told, NOT including labor, it was $6000. They said it was not worth it, and I agree. After all, you still don't have a true GSX.

After all, simply take all your mods off and replace the stock parts. Even with engine work that you couldn't transfer to your new AWD, or parts that wouldn't fit, your loss would still outweigh the time/money/trouble involved in converting a FWD to AWD, IMHO.

------------------
1993 Forest Talon AWD - modified

[This message has been edited by ForestTalonAWD (edited October 22, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
YEah I agree with pretty much everything that has been said. IF you look under and AWD vs a FWD, you will notice there is a indent for the drive shaft, and that would require a lot of work on a FWD. Plus you would have to swap out the WHOLE rear axle.

It would probably be for you to pull all the parts, sell your car and buy and AWD

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks
for the input
i am just gonna do a 1 gen head swap and 75 shot of NOS. alot cheaper since i need to buy a bigger shop and a dyno.
tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts