DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, what's up.

First, I wish to introduce myself, my name's Matt, from Roanoke, VA. I myself am an SR20DE freak; constant user of the SR20DE forums. I just found DSMTalk and figured I'd pop in. Why? Why the 1.8 section? Well, my woman has a 1992 Eclipse. Base model. 1.8L, SOHC, Auto, manual windows, no rear defroster, no rear wiper, you get the point. A slug, for the most part. No offense to you guys or anything; it just doesen't compare to the SR20 in it's state. There are a lot of things that I would love to do to this thing to make it look better and run better.

Info on the car:

Super Black 1992 eclipse
114,00 miles
Recent timing belt replacement at 100,000.
New plugs

Here's a list of problems:

Car burns a little bit of oil on accelleration. I'm thinking rings. Is there any additive I can put in there to stop this, that isn't total CRAP?!

Next, it does something weird. It like, takes it a minute to start accelerating in any gear. When cruising, the idle hangs around 1000rpm, and when you get back on the gas, it's like it goes back into gear and slowly starts accelerating. Slowly. Does the trans need to be serviced? Filter change? Just fluid?

Hearing a light tapping from under the VC. Is this normal valve clatter? Car has been running OK; but she went like 3 grand over on her oil change.

Things I need to buy [help on where to buy from is appreciated]:

New Air Filter [or low cost, high quality intake. where to buy?]
New OEM Plugs
New OEM Wires
New OEM Dist. Cap/rotor
New OEM Fuel Filter
New OEM PCV Valve
New Oxygen sensor
New Valve cover gasket [leaking]

Miscellaneous:

Any emissions equipment I can clean out?
Will 2G eclipse rims fit the car? Same bolt pattern?
Why doesen't this place have a Forsale/WTB forum? :D j/k!

The end:

Guys, thanks for looking at my post, and your comments are GREATLY appreciated. And if any of you have anything for sale that can spruce up her interior, or exterior, or engine :D Let me know please!! I'm in VA, 24014.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well first welcome to the forum, second, there is a thread that you should read in this 1.8 section called "all things 1.8 in here" its like a billion pages long but its got tonnnns of info about our cars in it that will be usefull to you. I know its long, but its worth it. Last, since your a newbe I will be a nice guy and help you out but when you post in other parts of the board you might get grilled for not doing a little research on your own first. Use the search button at the top of the screen, its red and all the way to the right. but heres some stuff to get you started: ;)

---the oil burning is most likley coming from the valve seals in the head. Most na dsm's when burning oil this is the problem (at least so far that I have seen) people dont really start having problems with the rings till major boost is an issue.

---about the tranny...I dunno what to tell you really about the engine being at 1000rpms when your driving, that sounds REALLY weird to me. But i dont have an auto so I dunno. All I can say is that trannys are probably the single biggest problem with dsms of all years and models so it needing some major work or a new one totally, wouldnt be suprising.

---The tapping under the VC is the lifters. Its not a problem. And if its only "slight" then consider yourself blessed. lol Different oils and different weights can have drastically different effects on how loud the tapping is, you have to see which is best for you.

---About your woman going over on her oil change, dont stress it. All the 1.8s that I have seen look like total CRAP under the hood with the exception of like 2. And one of those two is mine. For the most part I think that the people who bought 1.8s weren't into careing for their cars/engine. They just wanted a cool looking car. So therefore they have not been taken car of well. That being said they are a decently bombproof engine, people treat them like crap and you will find tons of them running with well over 100k miles.

---Ok the parts list--- Most of this stuff can be bought at your local auto place like Pep Boys/Autozone.. whatever anywhere like that.
Air filter- k&n filter is deffinatly best- there is no low cost option. There is an intake but it costs about $200, made by injen. Theres another one made by weapon-r but i dunno if its good or not.
Plugs- NGK plugs work the best in all dsms
Wires- I have pep boys ones, i dunno... they work fine.
Fuel filter- go pep boys
PCV- i dunno actully... I need a new one too
O2- I think you might have to go to Satan for that one (the dealership)
VC gasket- I got a new one when I bought the whole head gasket kit I dunno if you can buy them individually or not. Dealer I suppose. You should look at the one on there first, if it looks ok then you can put it back on and use some RVT sealent on it. They always leak unless you use tha t stuff, even with a new gasket.

---Emissions stuff- You can buy a test pipe and ditch the cat, any one for a fwd 1g will work. Just make sure your girls knows about that before she goes to emissions! "uhh mam can I have a word with you over here next to this officer..."
And not related to emissions but a higher flowing muffler is always good.

---2G rims- Yeah they fit, at least I assume they fit cause i have seen people with them. Check it out more though, that would be a good search item.

--As for a For sale/WTB forum, well we kinda do have one its just a different site all in of itself. Its called dsmtrader.com. Just be warey of it alot of people have gotten ripped off on it. The guy who made this site (Ted) didnt want this to be a place that we have to worry about crap like that going on, so we dont have one.

And just to spruce stuff up.. honestly, go to a junkyard. Find some 1g's and go to town. Look for the interiors that are different then yours. Some other models have much nicer seats that are very adjustable and supportive. Some have those seats in leather. The center console may be different then in your girls car, she may or may not have the armrest. You can get a rear deck lid that covers up that "trunk" area. Door pannels from other cars have speakers in them and different pokets. For the exterior you can get the ground effects off the other cars, a stock wing. Please dont put some ghetto wing on a nice 1g, they dont look good and we will make fun of you. lol. Also you can get some clear corners for the front at any car shop that sells that type of stuff. As for under the hood, well get some degreaser/a hose/some wire brushes and start cleaning. It will be like a totally different car when your done. But the possibilites are endless, there are turbo'ed 1.8's out there, people running nitrous... if you have some spare cash...just go for it, these engines are cheap. Good luck with everything!

dennis

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where to buy...?

Hey guys, it's me again.

I was wondering if, in the DSM community, there is any website that offers a discounted price on Genuine mitsubishi or DSM replacement parts. I am looking for all your basic tune-up items that include but are not limited to:

Plugs
Wires
Cap
Rotor
O2 Sensor
Fuel Filter
PCV Valve
Valve Cover Gasket

If anyone knows where I can find these quality parts for my girlfriends 1992 Eclipse 1.8L 4G37 that would be great. I've already noticed this is a cool community. I appreciate any replies at all. On a side note, where can I go to look for factory side skirts and stuff? I also would like to get some 1G or 2G Mitsubishi rims, if anyone has some, let me know! All she has is hubcaps, they bl0w!!!

My woman's eclipse is base model, no body components. It's pretty damn rough looking. Will get pictures soon. I'm starting to become obsessed with her DSM and after pouring over 2 grand into my NX2000 I think it's time I tune her Eclipse. I'll also post some pics of my SR20 for you guys....later :D

Take it easy,
Matt from Roanoke, VA

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
1992eclipse said:
you could have posted this in that other thread that you started about basically this same thing :rolleyes: go here... dsm vendors from the dsmtalk homepage thats 8 pages of different dsm places to get everything you could imagine.

dennis
Agree...

I merged both threads this time, so that all the related info remains on the same thread.;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
check out the vendor page and as for the 1g/2g rims, look at dsmtrader, i would recmoend finding someone that is close to you so that you can look at them. heres my 1.8, i have a new chin spoiler and soon to have seats out of a gsx (not pictured) and my engine bay is clean:D

i also have the rear hatch cover, its nice to have if you have a system.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have done many of the repairs you are talking about and got most of my stuff at Importpartsbin.com . They have a good selection of products and better prices than you will get locally at pep boys, autozone, and d.a.p.

I recently got from them
Distributor cap
rotor
rear brake pads
valve guide seals
gaskets and half moon plug

and was Very impressed with the level of customer service, and the quality of the parts.

Check 'em out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys!

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I have already found the DSM community to be about 26156789415 times larger than the SR20 Community. :D

I have in the past week made plans with a few people to get some better parts for the eclipse. Last week I got the front and rear seats from a Laster RST [turbo model] in good shape. Slapped them in there, and they look great! Can anyone say brownie points? :) Next up, some 1G or 2G eclipse rims, and mad tune-up stuff. I was quoted 175.59 shipped for the following items, all Genuine Mitsubishi Parts:

4 Plugs, Wires, Cap, rotor, fuel filter, pcv valve, air filter, o2 sensor. Add $38 for a A/T filter kit. Do these prices seem good?

I think I'll grab them in the near future, and see If I can get it running a little better. I looked on VFAQ, but can't seem to find a howto on setting timing on the 4G37. I would like to check her timing and set it if necessary in the future. Any links, guys?

Also, her shifter for her A/T wiggles around a whole lot in any particular gear. There is like a "T" shaped peice underneath and it looks like a bolt goes through the top of the "T", with a nut on the other end. I can see the part moving around but I tightened the nut for like 10 minutes and it didn't get any better. I even had someone hold the other end of the bolt so that it wouldn't turn. Maybe I just need to work at it more, or did someone else have this problem, and fix it another way? Ah well, I'll keep fucking around with it. If you guys dont understand, that's cool, I suck at explaining things. I'll take pics and make movies of her problems later.

Thanks guys!

Matt from Roanoke

BTW, I'm almost at 200K on my NX2000, original motor!

PS. norcal-nonturbo I cannot see your pictures. Sorry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot to mention that her DSM recently spawned a CEL. It's probably the 02 sensor, because the car is not running any different. Can someone refer me to a page that will tell me how to check and clear the codes for the ECU? I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes and that did the trick, but then it came back on again after about 30 minutes of regular driving. Any ideas?

TIA,
Matt from Roanoke

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thats cool you got some seats. Did you get the leather ones or cloth? Either way they are about 100 times better then the 1.8 seats. I got the leather ones and I love them...they need to be recovered but hey I got them for free so I cant complain.

Norcal--I cant see your pics either, get them fixed man I wanna see what this chin spoiler is that your talking about.

About the timing. To do it right you really need a timing light. The fine adjust the timing you turn the whole distributer itself. There is one bolt on the outside of it that you have to loosen to turn it, when you look at it it's kinda obvious what im talking about. BUT I dont remember what direction you turn it to advance or retard. Im saying "turn it" but its really only turning it very slightly. You should do it with a timing light because if you just turn it to before the stall point you dont really know how many degrees you are advancing it, if you advance it too much you will shorten your engines life considerably. You could use an adjustable cam gear from a 2.0 model but you will have to leave that top timing belt cover off cause it wont fit right. If your willing to risk that then go for it but just remember to not slip or anything when putting some oil in the engine or it will end up all over your timing belt. Which would suck.

I might get some rims soon too, from a 1g or 2g, which ever I can find that I like better. If i have to buy new tires I figure maybe I could just get some new rims too... cheap ones from a junkyard or one of the dsm shops around here..something like that.

dennis
p.s.~>When I just did my headgasket like a month or two ago I brought the head to a machinist to get rebuilt and he also shaved it a little bit for me to boost the compression a hair. That added a little power. If you feel like getting dirty :tat:

·
Registered
336 Posts
CEL

Turn the car off and then turn it back on and drive somewhere. If the cel comes back on then its a different sensor then the o2. The o2 will only trip a cel once. The code will always be in there untill you clear it by disconnecting the battery. But after you trip it once and then shut off the car (take the key out and everything) it will not come back on unless the ecu is reset. If the light comes back on its probably something like the tps, mas, idle control motor, the ecu itself.

Or you can just check what the light it for yourself. Go to the vfaq and you will find a "buzzer method" or checking them. Parts cost like $2 and then you can check them all the time.

Dennis
ahhh, well I guess im feeling nice today.. click here.. then click "electrical" at the top, then its something like "retrieving diagonstic codes"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1992eclipse,

I got the cloth ones, but they are nice. I will have pictures of them soon. They are a light gray color, with lumbar support on the drivers seat. The back seats are much better too; they hold you in nicely.

As far as timing goes, do I just rotate the distributor? I don't have to lock the engine in timing mode? On my nissan, it's a whole different story, you have to unplug a TPS sensor, rev the engine to lock it in timing mode, then rotate the distributor. If this mitsu is simpler, then hell yes. :D

Does anyone know what the factory timing is on the 1.8? How far can I advance it before there's detonation? Is it worth it?

TIA,
Matt

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah then apperently its much simpler then it is on a nissan. You do have to do one thing though, you have to bypass the computer. Sorry i didnt mention this before. There is a kinda random plug thats not hooked to anything back by the firewall on the passanger side of the car, jump that to a ground (the firewall.) Then just rotate the distributor a little bit. If you do it with the car running there will be a point when you rotate it to much (either direction) the car will stall. Then you have either retarded it or advanced it too much. Advancing is towards the drivers side, retarding towards the passanger side. That point right before it stalls when advancing is what your looking for. As for if its worth it.... well your talking about maybe 1-5hp?? if that much. But thats at a cost. After running your motor with your timing advanced for an extended period of time your at a much higher risk of messing shit up.

Anyways, timing is *supposed* to be set at 5 degrees btdc at 700rpm. And thats what I have mine set at. I say if you have access to a timing light, use it.

dennis
p.s.-> dont forget to take the ground off that plug bypassing the computer or it wont adjust itself when driving and you will have all sorts of problems.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Cant really see this lip spoiler that you talked about before in those pictures. Is it something that you havent put on yet or that just isnt in those pics?

dennis

1 - 18 of 18 Posts