DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Blkmamba13 said:
How do i recharge the Air Conditioning in my 98 GST Spyder?
With an a/c recharge kit.. Or you take it somewhere.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you know where i need to hook up the hose for the ac recharge kit and do you happen to have a image of where it goes?!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Without knowing for sure, I'd guess there's a tap somewhere near the front passenger side of the engine compartment. It should have a cap on it and point straight up. I'll look for a picture of mine which should be similar ('99 RS).

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
gordon.cj said:
Without knowing for sure, I'd guess there's a tap somewhere near the front passenger side of the engine compartment. It should have a cap on it and point straight up. I'll look for a picture of mine which should be similar ('99 RS).
There is usually two caps. LO side and HI side. Follow the directions on the ac recharge can.. I don't have ac anymore so i can't remember where the caps are. Just follow the ac lines.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Are you even able to buy the refrigerant legally? What does 2g use? R32?

I'm actually not sure, as I just removed the whole unit! ;)

Either way, Burnett got it right on the nose, just follow the hoses. The high pressure side should be the lines on the top most part of the motor, running along the driver's side.

You should really get a Haynes or Chilton, they will have this answer for you, and many many more you'll come across throughout the time you've got this car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That's right, there should be a HI and LO. The kits always suggest using the lo side (and they won't fit on the high side).

Yes, you can buy refrigerant (R134a) - at least for newer vehicles (I think the R-12 was phased out around 93 or so, I can't remember exactly).

The illegal piece is venting refrigerant from the car (not putting it in). To use other forms (like R-12, etc) you have to have a license to handle it, but R134a is ok.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
gordon.cj said:
Yes, you can buy refrigerant (R134a) - at least for newer vehicles (I think the R-12 was phased out around 93 or so, I can't remember exactly).

The illegal piece is venting refrigerant from the car (not putting it in). To use other forms (like R-12, etc) you have to have a license to handle it, but R134a is ok.
I knew there was something that was restricted, and I knew it was illegal to vent to atmosphere to get rid of it. I just have never tinkered with a 2g, so I wasn't to sure what it used.

There was a thread on here this week about a guy who's 2g car had its upper hose blow out. If you want or have time, try looking for it, there was pics and some other useful info that was traded on that one....

·
Registered
65 Posts
93_GSX said:
There was a thread on here this week about a guy who's 2g car had its upper hose blow out. If you want or have time, try looking for it, there was pics and some other useful info that was traded on that one....
Good call - I already forgot about that one, even though I'd posted on it... My memory is slipping and I'm still a year away from 30! Here's the link.

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200968

1 - 10 of 10 Posts