DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ACT 2900 Clutch kit installed right now, it responds great:) . But what i want to know how long would this clutch kit last until i have to replace it

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Umm who knows? It depends on how much power you have, what disk you have and how you drive it. Wether you launch alot or slip it alot.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool cool, i usually don't launch it because since its still mostly stock i try to take it easy, since i'm getting DSM Link in about 3 weeks i'm gonna wait it out so i can do better launches with more power build up... 2-Step FTW!!

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sadly i agree with you... i know that hard launches and DSMs don't go well together. I'm only running an EVO III 16G with external Wastegate, but once i ad the bigger injectors, pump, and the link. Its gonna get a tad bit hairy.

·
Registered
478 Posts
That clutch will be fine with a 16g. Honestly, if anything you might need a new disk after a while, but those are cheap at $100. I had a street disk, put on probably 8k hard miles on it, with launches that netted a mediocre 1.60 60', but it held fine until the day i took it out. I wouldn't be concerned with a 16g.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the big question... Sometime between now and mid next year i'll be upgrading to a 63 trim, with a 44mm external. Thats probably when the drivetrain upgrades should begin right...?

·
Registered
306 Posts
as long as you got a 4 bolt rear you will be ok, main problem i see happening is the center differential. I would look into a 4 spider or welded diff. Give www.dogboxracing.com a call and get your trans freshened up, and you will be set. That clutch will hold 450+ ft lbs of torque

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
turbosteve said:
as long as you got a 4 bolt rear you will be ok, main problem i see happening is the center differential. I would look into a 4 spider or welded diff. Give www.dogboxracing.com a call and get your trans freshened up, and you will be set. That clutch will hold 450+ ft lbs of torque
All the Tough Tranny's are is new OEM synchros and what not. The big one is the syder gear. If you trust a local Tranny/Driveline shop go talk to them and see what you can work out.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea i've heard of installing those but never really looked into it, i have a spare trannsmission, i may send that one to shep. Until then i guess i'll keep it under 400hp... And to answer northendtrooper, i don't really know how to pre-load a launch with the handbrake... i'd like to know how to though

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Ok

A: All shep does is replace with new OEM syncrhos and Gears thats it. Anybody can do it. What makes him part from everyone else is the Dogbox.

B: To pre-load a launch.
As you are on the line watch the tree. Put your car into 1st gear and pull the hand brake making sure you keep your thumb on the button so it doesn't lock (you'll look like a complete idiot trying to rip out with your handbrake on!) Then with your left foot on the Clutch and your right on the gas. Time the tree so you can put on the 2 step as your 2 step is going start to engage the clutch ever so slight to feel the hand brake being used. Then once you have the timing down, fully engage the Clutch along with dropping the handbrake. This will launch your ass into the back of your seat along with decreasing the chance of snapping a driveline out of the hole. Note this will drecrease the life of your clutch so do it sparingly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
act 2900 is garbage. As i stated before, they are good clutches up to a 2600 and around 400 hp. I went through at least 3-4 disks and 2 pressure plates last season and never made it to the track. Everytime i did a pull on the dyno my clutch would lose pedal pressure and would not allow me to go into gear. Take it on the highway and do a roller and by 4th gear the tranny was grinding because the clutch would not disengage. I know act is the only "real" clutches dsm'rs use alot like the walbro 255, but i did not have good luck with them at all. I since stepped it up to a PTT twin disk. I still dont see why you would run a 2900 with a 16g?

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it that i want to time the clutch replacement with my tranny build.

PS. Northendtrooper, thanks for the Dummies Guide their lol, i'll try it out. I'll let you know how i did

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
If you do a new clutch try an Excedy Clutch heard they're pretty damn good.
Also Sounds like Purple is having way bad luck! haha sorry to hear that bro. It could be also your Slave Cylinder is going out.

I'm still trying to time my launch haha so I'm in the same boat with you.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dude my buddy's got his 2 step launch down awesome! He did a 2-Step pre-load and then when he let go i got knocked back on the seat and was like DAAAMMMMNNN!!!!!

The only goal i have is to hit the 12s by the end of 2008 and i'm pretty close

·
Registered
116 Posts
n0rthendtr00per said:
If you do a new clutch try an Excedy Clutch heard they're pretty damn good.
Also Sounds like Purple is having way bad luck! haha sorry to hear that bro. It could be also your Slave Cylinder is going out.

I'm still trying to time my launch haha so I'm in the same boat with you.

yah, i had extreme bad luck all freaking year. Anyways, it was a brand new OEM mitsu slave, master, clutch fork, fulcrum ball, TOB, and retainer clip. I was pulling my hair out.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha hey man you know how it is with DSMs, "if something isn't broken or in the process of breaking, it isn't a real DSM"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts