DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard that you have to break these clutches in for about 1500 miles or so. I mean, would it be ok if I just pushed my car a little? I mean Im not going to be racing at a track or anything. Maybe the occasional street race. Is this gonna be okay for the clutch?

------------------
91TSiPower
1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

·
Registered
244 Posts
A friend of mine just spent a grip of cash on an ACT unit for his MKIII Supra. He drove it for 10 days and then indulged in a few street races. It's been about two weeks now and he is complaining that his clutch is slipping already. It is better to be safe than sorry. Your clutch needs time to seat with the flywheel and pressure plate. Turn your boost down and just be patient. Why waste your investment because you couldn't wait? I don't know about the 1500 mile break in requirement though. Email ACT at their website and ask them what they recommend for your set up. I just put in a Centerforce Dual Friction and I only have to wait about 500 miles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The only ACT I ever had a problem (that was the clutches fault anyway) with is the one I broke in. The rest I drove from the shop to the track and never had a problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had a few lengthy discussions with Sean G. on this one and was told with a non-organic clutch there is no need for a break-in. Remember, these race only DSMs, Rau, Pruven, J. Hill, etc. theie cars will never see 1500 miles, so they never really break theirs in. Rau runs a Cintered Iron 4 Puck, But I know Hill runs a ACT Street disk.

------------------
Tony
95 GSX
96 TSI
90 GST
old ride
\/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts