DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My 92 AWD Talon had an ACT 2100 clutch in when I bought it. Unfortunately, the clutch grabs about an inch off the floor and the adjustment rod is all the way out. What else can I do to make it grab higher?

Also, the shifter on this car takes a lot of force to put it in gear. For example, my 90 GST w/ 170000 miles will fly through the gears as it hardly takes any effort at all to shift...but you really have to push on this shifter. For example, it sort of "holds" in neutral for a second on the 2-3 shift. Could this be due to the clutch not fully disengaging? Or possibly an overtightening of the 14mm main nut on the shifter? Any other ideas for what I can try to make switching gears as easy as it is on my 90 GST? Thanks....

Brandon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Brandon,
I'm in the process of installing A brand new ACT 2600, Fidanza Flywheel(8 LBS),braided steel clutch line. I say I'm "in process" because I had installed everything back together, only to find out that the clutch wouldn't disengage. The master cylinder was adjusted to the last thread. I got someone to actuate the clutch while I observed from under the vehicule. The fork would travel so far that it would come in contact with the trany casing. con't

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ian's continued
DSM.org mentions in their archives under "clutch adjustment" ,"clutch ball stud shimming" ,"clutch install" Explaining the proper distance the fulcrum to be shimmed to obtain the proper pedal height (even with the master adjusted in the middle!?!?).I got a shim machined to 0.200" and as soon as I get my new fork and ball stud from the dealership..., I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ian's continued.
Because of the increased load of the pressure plate, the stock system has difficulties compensating. The shim idea should only be used if all other factors are eliminated (pedal play,system bled,..etc.)The clutch is self adjusting, so the use of an adjustable slave rod WON'T work.It will just compensate. My ride is a 98 Talon TSI. To install the shim, tranny must be removed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ian's continued.
I have researched this problem very thoroughly,and it has solved most of the problems associated with 1-2 shift, low clutch pedal,grinding when going into reverse,engagement from neutral to any gear.If any Questions feel free.
Ian
P.S. Your clutch is not fully disengaging, which explaines the symptoms you are experiencing.

·
Honorary Moderator
1,600 Posts
Check to see if there is any fluid on the inside of the firewall where the clutch master cylinder comes thru. If there is replace it. The ACT clutches destroy the old 1G factory master cylinders. It solved my similar problems.

To see if the problem is in the clutch or in the master or slave cylinder just jack the car up and haave someone depress the clutch while you watch the slave cylinder. If you see the lever move a lot then it's in the clutch... if it barely moves then it's the master cylinder likely and possibly the slave.

You can also try bleeding the master and slave and see if it helps... if it does help somewhat but not for long then it's the master of slave at fault.

------------------
Quadcylla
92 Laser RS-T FWD

·
Registered
47 Posts
Friend needs help...

Hey Ian,
I have a friend going through the same problems as you. Could you possibly email him and help him through this ordeal? Im sure he would be very appreciative. His email address is [email protected] His name is Nick and he is going through the same problems you did except his is a 1g. Thanks alot...

Kory
98 Eclipse GSX
http://home.cinci.rr.com/dsm4ever

1 - 7 of 7 Posts