DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all DSM'rs out there. My 97 TSI AWD still has the factory clutch at approx. 60000 miles and is starting to show its age. I'm not keen on a factory clutch and I've narrowed my decision down to the ACT 2100 or ACT 2600. I can't decide between them but I have some concerns regarding the 2600 having a harsh engagement that might damage other driveline parts in spirited use. I removed that little clutch fluid restrictor and that really firmed up the engagement with the stock clutch so I'm thinking that the 2600 might be pretty hard on the driveline. The car will see very limited track use and not a lot of hard AWD launches. Basically a street car. I'm hoping to make it a 13.0-13.5 car. What's everybody else using out there and how's it working. Please provide your suggestions.
Thanks for the space.

------------------
97 Black TSI AWD
Lightly Modded but pleasantly surprised.
'No Crank Walk PLEASE!!!'

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
After burning through my CFDF pretty fast, I switched to the ACT 2600. I strongly endorse it.

A couple things I experienced...

First, saying the engagement was harsh, when it was new, was an understatement. It was like an on/off switch. But it mellowed and got realll smooth in less than a couple weeks. So although its a concern of yours, don't worry.

Second, the force required to press my clutch pedal got much greater. So bad, a valet parking guy (last time a valet goes NEAR my car) didnt even have the strength to push it. HOWEVER, I checked out about 3 other cars with the 2600 and they were not like mine at ALL. Pedal pressure felt almost stock, every one of them. So I dont now if my installer did something funky or if there is something else up (changed master and slave cyls.... no diff) but my car is the only one I have found like that, and BTW I have become accustomed to it and like it alot even with my job requiring LOTS of stop and go.

Also, IMHO, AWDs really need the 2600. Even if you go to the track just a couple times a year, I think you'd find the 2100 can't hold up as well to AWD demands.

I say go with the 2600.

------------------
Ted - 95 GSX
[email protected] MPH

·
Registered
232 Posts
I installed a ACT2600 about a month ago. I also got a stainless line. And a 14pd flywheel. I have never been to a track, but I still like the 2600. The engagment is harsh at first but when you get use to it (from a daily driver standpoint) it is a "good" harsh as in i like that it grabs and holds. the pedal effort is no big thing.. thought it was bad at first but i cant tell its different from stock anymore.
it is pretty unforgiving when engaging the clutch as in you need to be aware of rpm and engagement.. you will either stall out alot or wear out the foam in the head rest. all in all i couldn't be happier.

------------------
J. Hunter Allred

'95 GS-T free mods, K&N, 3" HKS Superdragger, ACT2600, lightened flywheel, and otherthings that escape me at the moment. T-25 handicapped though. As you can see its a work in progress. Figure if i buy it i should buy it once :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think everyone w/ ACT 2600lbs would agree its a great clutch. After you break it the clutch, the clutch pedal feels stock....almost. It grabs well, but not too much.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Any1 know whose got the best prices for the ACT 2100 clutch?

Thanks,
Danny ..

·
Registered
350 Posts
ACT 2600....this clutch rules teh awds, I have driven cars with both plates 2100 & 2600 and teh 2100 doesnt feel right for some reason, the 2600 once u get use to it is teh best.

------------------

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the ACT 2600 on my car and love it. At first yes its hard but now months later I can't tell the difference from stock and it holds great.

Mike Masaryk
90WHITEGSX

[This message has been edited by CustomLeatherGuy (edited September 03, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
I have had the 2600 ACT clutch for over 1.5 years now in my 95 and have nothing but good things to say about it. I don't feel that the engagement is too harsh and I didn't even think it was bad when new. The pedal effort is a little more than stock but you quickly become accustomed to it and it feels like a stocker unless you drive someone elses car with the stock clutch. The clutch wears very good also since I have about 30,000 miles on mine and it shows no sign of slipping. If you had a fwd I would understand thinking of the 2100 but with awd you should get the 2600. :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have the 2100 and i wish i got the 2600.
Oh well, it won't be long before my wish will have its chance. But im going to sqeeze every last bit out of it because i certainly don't feel like takeing the car apart again.

get the 2600.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i have a 2600 fwd and i think it is a great clutch for fwd cars as well. never driven a 2100 but i have no complaints with the 2600

------------------
J. Hunter Allred

'95 GS-T free mods, K&N, 3" HKS Superdragger, ACT2600, lightened flywheel, and otherthings that escape me at the moment. T-25 handicapped though. As you can see its a work in progress. Figure if i buy it i should buy it once :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the Act 2600 and highly recomend it if your looking for the best price go to carparts.com and use the 33% off coupon you can pick one up for just over 200.00

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey why don't any of you guys use the Rps units?The pp on the act is a modified stock unit the one on the rps is completely rengineered,least thats the way it is for us other dsm guys(Vr4/3s).The plates can hold up to 2900 plus the engagement is like stock.Maybe I have no idea what I'm talkin about since we have different cars,but it's a thought. :D

[This message has been edited by V8klr (edited September 05, 2000).]

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have a RpS turbo clutch in my 90 GST making around 250 to the wheels and it started slipping pertty bad after 4000 miles. i wouldn't recommend this clutch but i do know he makes the best clutch for the MKIVs. Maybe the carbon claw would be a better choice for the modded DSMer. As far as i can tell the RpS units are factory pps and the ACTs are not. Extreme has a newly designed Clutcvh Masters clutch for us and from what i have heard it works well. Slightly different design on the pressure plate pivot points. More of a 2500#. Call and ask for Jack.
And i have a 6 puck 2600# in my GSX and cant complain about it. you just have to be careful with it.

------------------
Tony

95 GSX
96 TSI
90 GST

[This message has been edited by overboosted (edited September 05, 2000).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the responses. You have convinced me to go with the Act 2600. From their website, this appears to be the MB1-XTSS kit that I'm interested in.
I need to get the pressure plate, disc & release bearing so I believe the kit is the best way to go. Now I just have to shop around for the best deal.
Does anybody know how to obtain the 33% coupon from carparts.com ?

------------------
97 Black TSI AWD
Lightly Modded but pleasantly surprised.
'No Crank Walk PLEASE!!!'

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes, just click on Brands tab then go to Advanced Clutch Technology.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Carparts coupons expired today tried to use it just a couple of minutes ago if your still looking for one call Mike at Road Race Engineering thats who I bought mine from.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts