DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
that isn't one of those turbo jetski's is it??

if so i'd like to mail order you a kick in the goonies.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Aren't you not supposed to tow with our cars?

The only reason I say is in the manual it says, in big bold print "DO NOT TOW WITH THIS VEHICLE."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Towing isn't an issue - at least I dont think so ....

I know the manual says do not tow with our vechiles ..... but I think that's only a recomendation by Mitsu. I havn't had any problems yet. I might install a tranny cooler next year .... but that it.

My hitch is made by Da'lan, not the dealer and it states that it's safe to two up to 2000 lbs. I will never tow that much. My sea doo and trailer weigh in at 600 lbs. I running (front) Brembo drilled and slotted with EBC green pads and Axxis with slotted and drilled rears. I have no problem stopping the eclipse and trailer setup. I'm planning on upgrading to a 2 piston caliper setup next year but that has nothing to do with the towing.

My car has B+G springs with Tokico 5 ways and I just tighten the shocks to number 5 and away I go. I only have a problem somtimes launching the boat do the angle of the boat lauch. In those cases I walk the tariler in ....not a big deal. I never back my car into the water either (like some other boaters do). I keep it about a foot from the waters edge.

So over all I have towed all summer and have yet to see a problem .... the T25 isn't doing to bad to keep up with extra load either. I never go over 130 kph anyway ..... it's kinds cool passing other cars though and you get tons of thumbs up when the roof is down

Peepers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a Turbo Sea Doo

Nope - its not the turbo model. Mine is a 110 HP rotax 2 stroke, 2 cylinder engine. The max speed that I've got it to (according to the gauge) is 60 mph on the water (all stock). And trust me ... falling off at 60 mph is damm fast enough for me right now.

From what I remember:

Honda makes the turbo jet ski and it has somthing like 150+ HP - more than most of there cars on the road.

Sea Doo came out this year with a 185 HP supercharge model to compete

All these PWCs had tones of power but they can only go so fast .... so I'm pretty happy with the one I have for now

Peepers

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
60mph, haha. My friend works at the local jet ski shop back home, and his next door neighbor is the owner. Try going out on some of the jet ski's he has, damn youll hurt when the day is done.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Re: Not a Turbo Sea Doo

Peepers said:
Nope - its not the turbo model. Mine is a 110 HP rotax 2 stroke, 2 cylinder engine. The max speed that I've got it to (according to the gauge) is 60 mph on the water (all stock). And trust me ... falling off at 60 mph is damm fast enough for me right now.

From what I remember:

Honda makes the turbo jet ski and it has somthing like 150+ HP - more than most of there cars on the road.

Sea Doo came out this year with a 185 HP supercharge model to compete

All these PWCs had tones of power but they can only go so fast .... so I'm pretty happy with the one I have for now

Peepers
Does that have the 583cc rotax in it by chance?

·
Registered
576 Posts
The owner's guide is right...you're not supposed to tow with a turbo engine...

From cars.com....

I have a 1988 Dodge Caravan with a four cylinder turbocharged engine. I read in the owner's manual that the warranty is void if you tow using a turbocharged engine. Why is the warranty voided? John

Ray: Because it is a virtual certainty, John, that you would fry the turbo if you were towing something. The reason is that a turbo is meant to be used only occasionally. When you need a little extra power, you stomp on the gas, and the turbo kicks in. Then after you've caught up to the garbage truck that passed you and you let off the gas a bit, the turbo shuts off and cools down until you need it again.

Tom: But if you were towing a trailer, the extra weight would require that you be stomping on the gas all the time. So that means the turbo would be running, when? Right. All the time!

Ray: And turbos just aren't designed to run all the time. When you run them all the time, they fry.

Tom: That's why the warranty is voided, John. And by the way, the only reason they don't void the warranty for the non-turbocharged four cylinder engine is because they know you won't be ABLE to tow anything with it. You hook the trailer on the back and the thing just sits there, so there was no need for a towing disclaimer.

·
Registered
760 Posts
boostedcustomz said:

From cars.com....

ehhh... my turbo is always going anyway :) 600 lbs is like adding 3 people and a trunk full of stuff.

·
Registered
556 Posts
boostedcustomz said:

From cars.com....

guess you better go tell the guy in the Freightliner he cant tow his 50,000 lb trailer up a hill because his turbo will be going the whole time and it might fry.:eeek: :rolleyes:

his car makes 201 HP at the wheels, which is a solid 25-30 hp over stock. He can tow a 600 lb trailer, since his car makes more power than many small pickups.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Warrenty??

Ok guys ....

I'm not too worried about a warrenty since my car was never sold in Canada anyways .... Mitsu dealers only can north of the border this year - 3Gs only ..... if I did have a warrenty, I'm sure I would have voided it a long time ago with all the mods I've done anyway .... and if my turbo goes ... just gives me a reason to get a bigger one .....

I also agree with Brandon92DSM ..... a sea doo is only 600 lbs .... just like a full car and packed trunk ......

Peepers

new party pics are up if anyone is intrested in the TO night life sceen ....

http://groups.msn.com/MrMMsCommunity

1 - 11 of 11 Posts