DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to install a Joe P MBC, and it tells me to remove the hoses that go to the boost solenoid. Since the hoses will be gone, can I disconnect the solenoid from the wire harness too, or will that make my check engine light come on?

It doesn't say anything in the instructions as to whether or not to remove the solenoid.

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think you have to leave it on to avoid the CE light. I'm not sure what the exact reasoning is though. Mine is still on the car and it hasn't given me any problems (CE light never comes on).

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, Greddy IC Piping, Magnecores, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
701 Posts
On a 1g, disconnecting the bcs will not make the ce light come on, at least on a 91 anyway.

-Dave

------------------
91 GST AT

·
Registered
315 Posts
Split Second is right. On a 2G you have to leave it connected or else the CE light will come on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah -

Just put ya MBC between ya BOV control line ( or any vacuum tube on the inlet manifold) and the waste gate and adjust.

Leave the stock one in place and tap in a LED so you can also see if ya have any knock!

Take a look at vfaq web site they have all this stuff for you right there!
http://www.vfaq.com

Mark

·
Registered
333 Posts
run it like this. remove the BCS and all stock hoses going to it and to the turbo.

then run a line from the turbo/IC pipe (depending on year dsm) into the MBC then outta the boost controller and to the wastegate actuator (the goldish round thing on front of your turbo)
now run a hose that goes from the MBC to the wastegate, put a "T" fitting in the middle of this line and run that extra hose either into the open air or back into the aircan.

the reason is by bleeding off air you will be able to adjust your boost easier and quicker and higher if you desire. works like this, for every 1psi you bleed off your turbo builds 2psi to compensate for it.
this will solve most problems of people who cant get there boost to adjust high enough

as for the BCS, i removed mine completely and got no check engine light. so it makes no difference

[This message has been edited by lee (edited September 30, 2000).]

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm also installing a MBC and need help.

To tap the wastegate hose, I have to remove
it from the 'T' that ties it to the turbo output and boost control solenoid (BCS).
What should I do to the connection between
the turbo output and the BCS? Should I cut the hose and plug both ends? Or is it ok to leave the wastegate end of the 'T' open?

Joe

·
Registered
701 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lee:
now run a hose that goes from the MBC to the wastegate, put a "T" fitting in the middle of this line and run that extra hose either into the open air or back into the aircan.

the reason is by bleeding off air you will be able to adjust your boost easier and quicker and higher if you desire. works like this, for every 1psi you bleed off your turbo builds 2psi to compensate for it.
this will solve most problems of people who cant get there boost to adjust high enough

B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bleeding off air from the mbc defeats thw whole purpose of the mbc. It you wanted a bleeder valve, just buy a bleeder valve. A mbc is used to precisly control the amount of boost you want. Bleeding air will not give you a consistent boost peak every time.

-Dave

·
Registered
231 Posts
FastFWD:

Have you figured it out yet?!? ;)

take the BCS out comnpletely, unhook it and all, you will not get a CE light on a 1G.

Tap into the hose going to the BOV with a "T" fitting and connect the intake hose of the MBC there. The other end goes to the nipple on the waste gate. Secure it, I used a clamp and mounted it to one of the screws on the rad fan. Your done, adjust it to the proper psi (trial and error).

It's that easy.

Zach
'92 Laser RS Turbo AWD
"RSX"

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I figured it out. Although, there was no need to tap into any hose. The hose from the waste gate goes over to the BCS then back around to the turbo inlet. When you remove all that hose, you only have two nipples left. Connect one end to the wastegate, the other to the inlet. It was very easy, and no check engine light.

See my future post in "parts review" for more. Thanks for all the help.

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts