DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello DSM fans, I have a 1999 Eclipse GSX and I wanted to hear from you tuners who have had cam gears installed and dynoed on a FWD DSM turbo. Since I can't put my 4wd on a dyno I'd like to know what combination of advance/retard works well on the 4g63.
I've heard that 3 degrees intake advance and 1 degree exh. retard works well. I'd appreciate any input!!

Jesse
99 GSX

·
Registered
729 Posts
When running race gas i just advance my timing a bit with the crank angle sensor. I think it would be a pain to do it with cam gears. But thats just my two cents. I don't have much experience with timing-tuning, so I'm sure someone knows more than me.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Adjusting your timing with the crank angle sensor is different than with cam gears. The CAS adjusts the ignition timing, and the cam gears adjust the cam timing, or the valve timing. Two completly different things.

-Dave

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ya, I was just thinking about this while driving around today. angle sensor is ignition timing, but what adfantage would changing the valve timing give?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gsxalex:
Ya, I was just thinking about this while driving around today. angle sensor is ignition timing, but what adfantage would changing the valve timing give?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The advantage to adjusting your intake and exhuast cam independently of each other is the increase in the overlap period in the cycle of the 4g63. Overlap is when both intake and exh. valves are open simultaneously. If I understand correctly, increasing the overlap period will help force the burnt exhaust gases out of the combustion chamber quicker which could possibly decrease spool up time and keep the cylinder temps slightly cooler. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've heard gains of 25 hp from DSMs tuning in a set of gears.

Jesse
99 GSX

1 - 6 of 6 Posts