DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

AEM EMS and 1600cc injectors

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  nukefission 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if you need a seperate driver box or something to run the 1600cc injectors with the EMS? I would ask on the AEM board but its been down for a month. Also, FIC has 1600cc injectors pretty cheap and I need to go to something larger.

#4 ·
You should post this question on RX7club.com. For the rotary guys it is very common for them to run 1600cc injectors and standalone. Actually my bro is running 1600cc secondary injectors and he only has an SAFC2.

#6 · (Edited)
For anyone that needs to have this question answered in the future:

Yes, you need an additonal driver if you want the car to idle well. The AEM injector driver part number 30-2710. The only problem is that there currently is not an injector battery offset table available for it which is necessary so you'll have to create your own.

In other words, buy 1000cc injectors and forget about it.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Quite a few guys on the DSMlink board running these injectors with no drama with no "special" accessories. I am plannng on probably picking a set too. For $260, you really can't beat that. ;)

#10 ·
diambo4life said:
Quite a few guys on the DSMlink board running these injectors with no drama with no "special" accessories. I am plannng on probably picking a set too. For $260, you really can't beat that. ;)
The question seems to be around idle. I already have some huge cams and my idle quality is ok with 1250cc injectors. By going with an even larger injector the idle quality seems to decrease more.

As far as non-idle issues are concerned there don't seem to be any.

Once my buddy finishes his car this weekend then I'll see for myself just how bad the idle is with the 1600cc injectors.

#15 ·
XakEp said:
DSmlink + 1600cc injectors + Correct deadtime = smooth idle.
You run a set???

There is also something called Minimum Injector Turn-on time. Run less than 1.0 ms and they may get froze stuck. I screwed up a set of injectors(1600's) doing that. Although a smooth idle can be achieved.

I was told by an AEM dealer that I would need an additional box to run my 1600cc injectors. With that and the addition of needing a CDi box for the COP to work for my application, I chose to stick with an Electromotive unit. The TEC3r needs no extra boxs or add-ons to run either. My TEC II currently runs the injectors with no extra bs or cost.

#16 ·
Well I guess I'll be upgrading to a set of 1600cc injectors. My buddy dropped in a set this afternoon using an AEM EMS. The results were a dead smooth idle after a little fiddiling. So I guess you don't need the box after all.

#17 ·
4SFED4 said:
I was told by an AEM dealer that I would need an additional box to run my 1600cc injectors. With that and the addition of needing a CDi box for the COP to work for my application, I chose to stick with an Electromotive unit. The TEC3r needs no extra boxs or add-ons to run either. My TEC II currently runs the injectors with no extra bs or cost.
That's BS. You don't need a CDI box for coil on plug with the EMS. There are a bunch of people including shortly myself that are running COP without any sort of CDI.

Sounds like you talked to a vendor that wanted to sell some extra parts and was hoping that you would be ignorant enough to bite.

#18 ·
TEC said:
That's BS. You don't need a CDI box for coil on plug with the EMS. There are a bunch of people including shortly myself that are running COP without any sort of CDI.
It depends on your application. I was told without a CDi box I would risk blowing the candles out over 30psi of boost. I see it as large investment to just buy one without consulting anybody. If I disagree with the AEM dealer and run into problem they warned me about, how can I rightfully comlain.

#19 ·
4SFED4 said:
It depends on your application. I was told without a CDi box I would risk blowing the candles out over 30psi of boost. I see it as large investment to just buy one without consulting anybody. If I disagree with the AEM dealer and run into problem they warned me about, how can I rightfully comlain.
There's no application that I am aware of that would absolutely require the use of a CDI box.

I see you are in NoVA. Do you know Brad Brooks? He use to own a Colt with a 4g63 and has a 98GSX making 560hp on 93 oct/meth. He tunes the majority of the fast cars in the area that are on the EMS. He would be the person in your area to talk to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.