DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have an AFC installed, can I take the hose off the BOV and let it vent into the open air? I was told it would make the car run rough, but with the AFC I can compensate for that, right?

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Registered
701 Posts
No, unfortunatley you cant. I had the same question a few weeks ago and I got nos across the board. You need something like the VPC or the new HKS fuel computer. This is only on a 1g, I dont know about 2g's.

-Dave

------------------
91 GST AT

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hell, on the 2G cars that's one of the first things to do. Rip that BOV off and replace it and get rid of the dump tube along with the screens in the MAF.

------------------
'95 Mitsu Eclipse GS-T

16G Killer, 2.75" RS-R exhaust (turbo back), HKS intake, Apexi BOV, 10lb. flywheel, Centerforce DF, Greddy FMIC, 8.5mm wires, NGK 7's, Apexi Super AFC, Greddy Profec, Energy Suspension motor mounts

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The AFC handbook actually states in it that is has a compensation to prevent stalling on open air blow-off vehicles...

That's why I was assuming I can take off the tube, if I can figure out how to plug the intake hole.

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hmm, I don't think that is entirely true. It states you can do that, yes, BUT, only on the hot wire systems, our cars use the karmen system, and so far, everyone I have talked to say that the dec. air feature doesn't do anything on the karmen system. I was curious about this too. I haven't played w/ it, but according to the book, it shouldn't work,due to the karmen, but you never know.

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have to see how my friend is doing it with his 1g. He doesn't have any electronics, he has a 16G, and he is venting to the atmosphere with no problems.

------------------
John Lewis

1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Registered
871 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tractionless in PA:
Hmm, I don't think that is entirely true. It states you can do that, yes, BUT, only on the hot wire systems, our cars use the karmen system, and so far, everyone I have talked to say that the dec. air feature doesn't do anything on the karmen system. I was curious about this too. I haven't played w/ it, but according to the book, it shouldn't work,due to the karmen, but you never know. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

all true. the compansation factor on the afc will do nothing on the karman system. you have to remember that at idle, the engine vacume has the bov pulled open a little bit, and that is why they don't idle very good. same thing when the car blow's off in between shifting gears it al but dies, even if you speed shift it you can really tell.
i just don't understand why you guys are so up on doing this. i mean does it make you feel like your car is faster when you can make the bov noise louder. if that's the case that sounds a little "ricey" to me. you could just buy that bov noise simulater thing over in the lounge and then your car would run good and not shut off at stoplights making you look like a jackass with a pos :D

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, I am trying to do it to get rid of yet another ugly hose in my engine compartment. It rubs against some bolt and just looks plain ugly, and I don't know what size it is to replace it with silicone. It doesn't even work with aftermarts BOV's, so it will be gone sooner or later anyways...

------------------
John Lewis

1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My initial question was just asking if I could do it, and keep my drivability. I am still learning about thses cars, and I appreciated everyone's answers.

I was not trying to remove the hose to "make my car sound faster", I have no delusions as to the capabilities of my car at this point. I just was asking to see if it could be done, and possibly compensated for the missing tube.

Now, someone stated that I should go with a Blitz BOV. How? The Blitz would blow off into the atmosphere also, wouldn't it? How would that work? Does vaccuum not pull that one open at idle? I just want to get my car running effeciantly and strong. Saturday I am going to be drag racing at the Top Gun Speedway in Fallon, and I want to get low 14's. I think it should be possible.

I just wasn't sure if removing that tube would help, or hinder.

------------------
John Lewis

1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I didn't have any sort of fuel control I would pull the dump tube off at the track. That little hole allows some uncounted air into the intake tract and helps lean these cars out a little cause they run WAY WAY to rich from the factory. But if you have the AFC tuned properly to the kind of fuel you will be running there should be no need to yank this tube. I don't see how you'll get any kind of benefit from it, other than leaning it out a little more.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with 4npower on this one. The computer counts all the air that passes through the MAS. When that BOV opens and releases it's air into the atmosphere that's going to cause your motor to run really rich for a moment and is going to cause a stutter or rough idle. If your running an AFC I'd imagine you can compensate for it a little at idle but there is nothing you can do when your rpm's are up. So I see no point to it. You won't see a performance gain by doing it if you actually know how to tune your car with the AFC. The only time I ever did this was before I had any kind of fuel control and I only did this at the track. It helps lean it out a little at WOT and yielded me an extra 1/10 but idled like crap in the lanes.

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
I also don't see the point in going through the hassle venting to the atmosphere just to have a louder BOV. If you want to make more noise on shift and throttle lift just get a Blitz BOV or something and save your drivability.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I personally like the sound of a vented BOV, but like most everyone else I don't want my car to run like crap, so mine is still attached.
I believe however that if you replace the MAF with a VPC, which measures the air after the BOV then you can vent all you want with no ill effects, and you will have removed yet another restriction in your intake. All I need is money and I am well on my way....

------------------
1995 GS-T
Perfection Thru Speed

·
Registered
16 Posts
I could careless how my bov sounds I just bought a nearly chrome dejon tool intake but it didnt come with a whole so I could vent my bov to the intake.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Same thread different title... back the the orig question... Your AFC wont be doing any compensating. You could lean it out alittle to divert some fuel coming to mix with the air that isnt going to be where it should.

Nutshell - Dont vent with stock Mafs

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
There is no way to make adjustments with an AFC to a point in the map where it would only affect the shift. Making wot adjustments or low throttle adjustments will screw things up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
switch to a gm maf / maft. vent away

1 - 18 of 18 Posts