DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall reading a post stating how bad the grounds are for wiring stuff for our cars... and I wonder how bad is it? I tried to install a air fuel gauge, and I know I tapped all three wires right according to the Hawaii DSM page, and the meter doens't work. I used a voltmeter to check the voltage on the gauge side of the crimp connections, and I get 13.8 something from the red wire( power) and anywhere from .3-.5 at idle from the purple wire( O2 sensor tap) but I have to use my finger as the ground ( I touch and hold the black probe on my voltmeter) to get any voltage. I have even tried tapping the ground to the ecu, #92 the last one(i have a 95 GSX), behind a bolt, on another wire that the ground positively works on, but still no dice... Could I have fried the gauge? I had a busted O2 sensor for awhile and there was very small readings coming from the O2 wire(.068 volts) but the O2 has been replaced and works. Thanx in advance and sorry for the long post :)

·
Registered
769 Posts
The best bet for grounding something right is to test it first. I would recommend sanding the area where ur gonna ground the wire until u reach bare metal. Use a voltmeter and touch the ground terminal to the place you plan on grounding it, touch the positive lead terminal to a good source of electricity (e.g. cigarette lighter)...the reading should show somewhere around +12 volts. If it's not close to this find another spot. Good luck with the A/F Guage.

------------------
'92 Eclipse GS 2.0L NT

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I originally used the ground wire going to the ECU (#92...last wire on fourth plug on my 2nd gen) and it still didn't work. If that one doesn't work, I am sure other parts of my car wouldn't either right? I hate that gauge...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts