DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
air injection? not sure i follow. how about "forced air injection" now i got that and can share some info about it with you :D :D :D

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
871 Posts
oh ok, now i follow. i have heard of the anti-lag deal but not air injection. i'm guessing it is some sort of air that is shot at the compressor wheel of the turbo to keep it spinning or spooled up. so why not just have your blow-off-valve or pressure relief valve(whichever it's called in the uk) discharge right at the turbo inlet so it blows all that compressed, high flow air right at the turbo, thus keeping it spooled in between shifts. this is kinda how our dsm's are setup here but the discharge tube is further up near the mass air sensor, but it still works though. i have actually thought of having the discharge tube moved down right at the turbo inlet. hows that sound for air injection??

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Never thought of that...that sounds reasonably do-able. I wonder how come nobody makes modified inlets for this purpose? They could call it the "anti-lag forced air injected turbo inlet."

------------------
Rocky Mountain Talon - modified
Live, Learn, Love and Bleed DSM...

My DSM

·
Registered
871 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Van:
I wonder how come nobody makes modified inlets for this purpose? They could call it the "anti-lag forced air injected turbo inlet."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

they probably don't think there is a market for something like this cause everybody is so high on venting to the atmosphere to make people **think** they are fast, err whatever thier reason is. please no flames :D :D :D

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4npower
Yeah i figured thats how it would work myself. A sierra Cosworth here in the UK running 504bhp has it fitted, but i havent been able to find out exactly how it works.
I think that it was used in the British Touring car championship when they had turbos.
The WRC rally cars have a different kind of anti-lag that works in the same way but it injects petrol directly into the turbo housing, where it explodes due to the heat and keeps the turbo spinning, thats why rally cars spit flame so much.
On a road car that is not a option as the rally cars have V expensive turbos with special housings etc, inject fuel into a normal turbo and it will literally melt it.

Thanks for your thoughts,

S1RST

1 - 7 of 7 Posts