DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I know this is a no start thread and i did read the stickied one about no starts. i just need peoples input on this odd problem.)

As I was driving the alternator belt broke, so the car was running off the battery for about a mile. Then the car made some kind of noise (I cant even remember what it sounded like) and the engine slowly bogged down and shut off.
I thought it was just an intercooler coupler that poped of. So I checked and they all looked good still.
So I put a new alt belt on and tried starting it, but it wont start. It makes a whining noise but wont fire. All the belts turn while trying to start it (timing, alt, and ps).

So im thinking the valves are not opening or its not sending in fuel.

Please help me!:(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Whats do you guys think?

Blown head gasket?
Not getting fuel?
Valves not opening?
Not getting spark?

Anyone with any idea of what could have happend?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why would your valves not open, that doesn't even make any sence? Check your battery and your fuses. Also check your wiring, the belt coulda knocked something loose, such as the wiring for the ICM(ignition control module). I bet it is probably a no spark, or your batt isnt fully charged so it has enought to turn the starter but not power the injectors/coil etc.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It sounds like you have no compression buddy.Did you check your oil? It sounds like it may be a problem unrelated to the belt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1st stage of bad news...
I took off the valve cover and found that all of the rockers for the exhaust side fell off!

·
Registered
47 Posts
It sounds like you have no compression. Did you do a compression test? I think a piece of the old belt may have got on the timing belt and causing your timing belt to jump and bent your valves. Not a good move running with no lower cover. Time for a rebuilt.

·
Registered
370 Posts
(kinda odd here that a busted ALT belt would cause the rockers on the EXH cam side to fall out of their respective areas..being of two completely different areas of the motor. Only thing that would cause that to happen if the adjusters all collapsed suddenly of loss of oil pressure....).

DANG! why no lower belt cover?? like having rocks and junk go up in there and bust stuff up?

Yep - no compression due to the EXH valves all closed up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no i have a lower belt cover. its the middle one that is missing. ive been looking for one... guess i didnt get it in time :(

from taking stuff apart it looks like the alt belt got cought in the timing belt and made it skip timing. which bent the exhaust valves, so they cant lift up all the way to hold the rockers in place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does it make sense now that the valves weren't opening?
Im in the process of taking the head off to check for bent valves and damage to the pistons.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I said:
Why would your valves not open, that doesn't even make any sence? Check your battery and your fuses. Also check your wiring, the belt coulda knocked something loose, such as the wiring for the ICM(ignition control module). I bet it is probably a no spark, or your batt isnt fully charged so it has enought to turn the starter but not power the injectors/coil etc.
Yeah, some people like to jump your sh8t for dumb things....although I'm guessing he didn't know your middle cover was missing. It would be common sense to assume something along those lines if you were already looking at timing jumping teeth. I was already thinking the belt caught up in the tbelt, esp when you were explaining the noise you heard during starting...

·
Registered
370 Posts
no i have a lower belt cover. its the middle one that is missing
??/ thought 4G63 motors used a one piece cover...NOW, the 4G37 (1.8L motors) did have a two piece cover...

But, that one I can see: I bet your ALT belt did go into the T-belt and cause a belt jump real bad...

·
Registered
85 Posts
:p
imagine-02 said:
Does it make sense now that the valves weren't opening?
Im in the process of taking the head off to check for bent valves and damage to the pistons.
I think the real question is why are your rockers falling off? This is not a normal condition in a properly assembled head. :p

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
I bet it threw the belt because the engine stopped turning suddenly.

If the rockers are falling off it's because the valves are bent and are not closing completely.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts