DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know if anybody here has tried using an "alternate fmic?"
By this, I mean using a turbo diesel intercooler or using a/c evaporators or condensers and modding them to fit/work.
If so, what did you use and what were the results?
Want a fmic real bad but not the cost!

------------------
Rocky Mountain Talon - modified
Live, Learn, Love and Bleed DSM...

My DSM

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
In that case, get to know someone who can weld aluminum very well. Buy a core and end tanks from a Spearco or Griffin dealer and then build pipes yourself from aluminized or steel U bends or J bends from places like JC Whitney or Summit/Jegs. You'll need to pick up some hose to fit the connections, and most likely an expander to go from the turbo to the IC pipe. This is the cheapest way to go about it.

However, that being said, its also the most time consuming, sometimes frustrating, and did I say time consuming? :) There is also a potential the pipes like dog sh!t and you'll wish you had it done by someone else. Total investment could be around $550-$750 depending on pipe size, routing, and material type.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,923 Posts
Anyone ever try putting a electric fan on their stock intercooler to increase airflow? Would it work very well. Maybe route outside air towards it and use the fan to pull in more air? Would it be effective? I've been wondering about that for almost a year now but I don't got a car to try it on?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Only effective if you're standing still. You cannot put a big enough fan on it to draw enough air across the core more than you would at say 30 mph.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts