DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Is lifter tick something I should be worried about. I noticed tickingg earlier when i changed my oil. I dont wanna drive it for 2500 miles and fuck something up.

·
Registered
634 Posts
XtReMeToYz said:
Is lifter tick something I should be worried about. I noticed tickingg earlier when i changed my oil. I dont wanna drive it for 2500 miles and fuck something up.
Lifter tick is not just an annoying noise- lifter tick can trigger the knock sensor to detect knock which leads to loss of power. Replace the lifters with the revised ones and you should be fine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Wouldnt it be easier you just spend 15 bucks on another oil change, and throw a different filter on there that doesnt tick, like the 3kgt filter?

·
Registered
634 Posts
XtReMeToYz said:
Wouldnt it be easier you just spend 15 bucks on another oil change, and throw a different filter on there that doesnt tick, like the 3kgt filter?
Some oil will reduce lifter tick. Not sure about filters- as far as I know I just get the 3000 GT one for easier installation.

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
Why is lifter tick dissappearing becuase of a smaller oil filter? Is it because it is raising the oil pressure?

·
Registered
22 Posts
It makes sense that a smaller filter, more pressure, more oil attributing to even less metal/metal contact. Thinner and less pressure oil wouldn't allow enough lubrication thus making lifter tick more evident. Unless im mistaken....

·
Registered
687 Posts
not sure about the 3kgt smaller filter curing lifter tick, because i've never tried it & don't have lifter tick anyway.

but as long as you stay with a mits filter made by denso you should be fine.
one important feature that no one has mentioned is the anti drainback valve. which all denso filters have. move your mouse over the yellow circle.

http://densoaftermarket.com/cutaway_oilfilter.html

this will definitely help with lifter tick on cold start ups. some of the low end filters don't have this design feature. i'd be looking in to that then worrying about the size of the filter, unless clearance is an issue.

·
Registered
187 Posts
my car comes with a small oil filter,according to this thread, i can use the large filter?I bought one from autozone a while back and returned it thinkin it was the wrong one. I have a 90 with the stoc external oil cooler.

·
Registered
345 Posts
In regards to the EVO filters... I was told by my local mitsu dealer that the new EVO 8 filters were a "replacement" for the 1G filters I was using. A friend working there got me a box of proably a dozen filters dirt cheap. I have yet to actually use any of these as I had a few 1G Big filters left.
The part number is MZ690116 Anyone know if and how they would work? I can say that I have had arguments with the people working at my local mitsu about parts and fitment of parts. Just figured I ask and contribute my 2cents here... I have run the 1G big filters for all of my (1) 1Gs life, my dads the origional owner 215k later and in all my other many 1Gs. More or less im just a fan of OEM parts especially when I can get discounts there :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yea I also run a mobil 1 filter on my 90. I use mobil 1 oil and its good stuff. I had like a fram on there and the gasket took a crap and sprayed out all around making a mess.

·
Registered
57 Posts
90TurboTSi said:
In regards to the EVO filters... I was told by my local mitsu dealer that the new EVO 8 filters were a "replacement" for the 1G filters I was using. A friend working there got me a box of proably a dozen filters dirt cheap. I have yet to actually use any of these as I had a few 1G Big filters left.
The part number is MZ690116 Anyone know if and how they would work? I can say that I have had arguments with the people working at my local mitsu about parts and fitment of parts. Just figured I ask and contribute my 2cents here... I have run the 1G big filters for all of my (1) 1Gs life, my dads the origional owner 215k later and in all my other many 1Gs. More or less im just a fan of OEM parts especially when I can get discounts there :D

the new evo 8 filters work great. there are tiny and allow room for larger downpipes and custom setups. i have used one several times in the last 6 months and i have had no leaking problems or any other issues. hope that helps guys

·
Registered
508 Posts
I use the filter for a Dodge viper on my Chrysler installed 6G72. Its a LOT larger than what the book calls for on my '90 Lebaron, but threads on and has the same gasket.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just wanted to add my 2 cents here! DOn't Buy FRAM OIL filters! The seal on my filter blew out, dumped my oil on the interstate and before I could stop the car (20 sec.) The front balance shaft locked up jumping the timing and trashing my motor!

dvbrien

·
Registered
333 Posts
Wow. I'm glad I don't use Fram. I'm making damn sure no one else I know does either. I always use Mobil 1 filters. Always had nothing but good things to say. That site seems to agree.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Too bad you had to learn the hard way. Denso ftw ! :banana:

dvbrien said:
Just wanted to add my 2 cents here! DOn't Buy FRAM OIL filters! The seal on my filter blew out, dumped my oil on the interstate and before I could stop the car (20 sec.) The front balance shaft locked up jumping the timing and trashing my motor!

dvbrien

·
Registered
71 Posts
dvbrien said:

dvbrien
Wow that sucks. I work for a dealership and I hate it when customers come in with FRAM filters. We use NAPA Gold filters for any car other than the lines we sell and I haven't had any problems with those.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts