DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
PL14610 is the Purolator PureONE part number for the DSM. PureONE filters are the best filters out there. You can get them at PepBoys.

Need a smaller filter?
The shorter one is PL14612 if you have a large downpipe.

Need an even shorter filter? Use Honda P/N 15410-MFJ-D01

This filter is even shorter than the PL14612. It is from a Honda CBR1000RR. Discovered this on accident changing my bike's oil :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Well, Fram is at the bottom of my list, but recently, I bought a forward facing filter housing for my 1G 7bolt, and discovered, through a friend, that the OE Evo filters work great for them because they are a little shorter than the 1G but not the mongoloid 2G's either.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Huh? Pureone are not the best out there. Denso are the best you can buy.

Do you have one disassembled? I've taken apart a PureOne. I can't imagine anything being higher quality as this is most definitely a premium filter. Silicon seals and more filter media than any other filter I've seen.

Chop open a Denso, let's see what it's made of.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Fram is crap! A good cheap filter is Napa!

Changing your oil on time and using cleaner oil can make a big difference too. Bargain oil is not treated with the same additives and is usually dirtier(you can usually see the difference.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am fixing this 91 laser I bought which I am about to change the oil in. I picked up the filter today and it is a WIX 51381. I paused when he handed it to me and said, thats a lot smaller than the one thats on the car now... He assured me that it was a proper filter for the car.
I have read the whole thread and there was only one mention of these WIX filters and the poster didnt like then because of difficulty with the threads. Are the threads the same proper?
Can anyone comment on the quality of this filter and wether or not I should use it on my 91 Laser Turbo FWD?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Yes WIX are very good filters. If I remember correctly Puralator is made by them. 51381 is right, it will work just fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Filter is on the car now, I didnt have any issues with the threads at all. The oil pressure sure sits low at idle though. Slight tick that was not there before aswell. Didn't run the car very long though. Thanks for your help with that Sleeps, you couldn't have had any better timing.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
No problem, thats the only filter I use. Never had any issue with them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I always use MZ690116 $4.99 Factory Mitsu @ oemmitsibishiparts.com I order 2-3 at a time to save on shipping. Back in the mid 90s when the 2Gs were brand new, when we were first getting into the 11s with these cars, we were actually shooting off the OEM 2G ones. Leaving oil all over the track. At the time we went to the Montero Filters which were the same size as the oil housing we screwed the filter onto and never shot another filter off. I will always use this filter, OEM or nothing. Purolator or Napa or Fram, any name thats on the side of a nascar or a dragster will never go on my car. Brad Penn 20W50 for oil.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts