DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Korona said:
So I hit a sidewalk (long story) and now the anti lock light in the dash stays on and the brakes are stuck on brake (if that makes any sense). Is there anyway to reset this?

Do you mean the brakes are applying with no push on the pedal, or the red "brake" light is on? Does the car move? If it does, does it pull hard in one direction while driving?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't know anything about antilock brakes, but I'd probably pull the battery cable. I would also check to make sure nothing got physically bent out of place. The last thing I'd do is unscrew the plug so that the brake fluid drains out (being ready to catch it in something of course), relieving pressure. Then I could take it apart and see what happened.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Korona said:
The brakes are applying with no push on the pedal, and it seems to pull hard to the right I would say.

Raise the car on a lift or jack stands, then spin each wheel to see if any are hard to move (odds are the RF will be). Next, I would crack open the bleeder screw on the affected brake, and see if you can then spin the wheel freely. This will tell you if it's an issue with a hydraulic component. If the wheel still doesn't move, I would look closely at something mechanically frozen at that wheel (caliper, slide pins, pad interfaces, etc.). Be carefull when you crack the bleeder screw open, as the fluid may come shooting out with some force, and have someone there to help you bleed the brakes when your done.

....Sorry, I kind of reposted what gordon. cj said. Anywho, this will get you started. Let us know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It wouldn't be hard to open the bleed screw - literally just a bolt - to see if that frees it up so at least you can drive it somewhere to get it checked out without driving with the brake on.

It should be just a screw that sticks out off the brake assembly. If you unscrew it, the fluid will come out, the pressure will go down and the brake should release. After it releases, be sure to screw it back in though so it doesn't spray out every time you hit the brakes.

If you find the screw and it doesn't free the brake, I'd guess it's a mechanical problem - like blue91 said (calipers, pads - something knocked out of place).

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.