DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think its time for me to upgrade my exhaust system. I was wondering if anyone ever got caught for using a testpipe. I read the import tuner power pages and I was suprised by the gain. 27.6 whp!!:eek: when added to a system with an upgraded exhaust and downpipe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not emissions wise though COP WISE

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so you think they over estimated? check it out....seems legit to me.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have 2.5 pressbent DP, 2.5 exhaust and was using the stock cat, then, about a year ago switched to a test pipe. Well, I too think 27 hp is rather optimistic. Sure, there was a change but... I don't know. May be I 'm just imagining 27 young, pure breed mustangs and how they could kick some a$$:D
As far as getting caught that hasn't happened to me yet. I have heatshields around it tho and don't go to street races which helps.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Send a link to the import tuner 27 HP gain, I'd like to see it.

How did you get the heat shield to make the test pipe look like a cat?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I don't see why they would lie about it. It is a custom made piece and not giving anyone any recognition. Then they say the AFC added 3.3 HP why lie about a pipe that is custom made and then say such a low number for the AFC? Also notice that they say they picked up 2 psi with the test pipe which is true and remember that for every psi of properly tuned boost you get about 10 HP so that will give you the 20 HP tight there.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yea I remember seeing that issue when it came out. Nice looking car.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Import Tuner = :puke:

1st off, they had a stock cat on a 3" system w/downpipe.

One should always upgrade exhaust from back to front.

SO, In actuality, the test pipe + the downpipe = 27 whp because the cat was plugging up that exhaust so bad the downpipe was useless. Hell the cat back probably wasn't doing a whole lot with a stock cat.

THEY SUCK! Get rid of them.:D

Thems the facts.

*edit* Oh yeah and a 16G turbo??? Maybe Import Tuner should do some freaking research before they start beaking off about a $40 test pipe....:eek:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
That sound like a little too much for just a test pipe. But a test pipe vs. a stock cat there going to be a big ass difference. I know guys that have run a stock exhaust with test pipe. And man what a difference it makes. It's a mod you can tell. For a 40 dollar test pipe. It still a lot of ponys. That why I run it. But I like to see were you can get a 40 dollar test pipe from. :rolleyes:

And If I remember correctly that Import tuner is Honda byest.. If it's not a honda it slow. EX. They had a dyno on a acura integra GSR vs. a Civic IS The Civic show 20 more ponys????:confused:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Like I said in my post they said the boost went up by 2 lbs which equals to roughly 20HP if tuned properly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So most articles are written on hondas because they are a dime a dozen? And a GST is incredibly hard to come by? :rolleyes: If they really wanted a GST they are not that diffucult to find, what an excuse for their bias. :mad:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
mytalon said:
So most articles are written on hondas because they are a dime a dozen? And a GST is incredibly hard to come by? :rolleyes: If they really wanted a GST they are not that diffucult to find, what an excuse for their bias. :mad:
Like I said about the honda vs acura thing. It's the same company, and the acura has 170 stock and 160 civic. But how did they dyno the civic with more.. They got to be bias.

·
Registered
392 Posts
havnt got caught using a test pipe. when i go to work i park in a parking garage and a state trooper sits at the entrance and checks ur id [empire state plaza in albany] and he goes, " i just heard over the radio they are lookin for a blue ford probe with a loud exhaust..." and i said "well im lucky this is a MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE... have a nice day :)" and drove off, bastard cop called my eclipse a ford probe!!! :(

·
Registered
365 Posts
How did you get the heat shield to make the test pipe look like a cat?

I got a couple of shot cats from a smog station and took the heat shields off (had to drill those point type welds out), then mounted them on the test pipe. You can tell that it's not a cat from up close examination but if you kneel and bend and try to illuminate it with a flashlight (would love to catch a cop in this position, no, no, just to kick him in the groan area) from the side of the car it looks rather acceptable.
How do you guys get 2 psi or whatever from a test pipe? Is it without any boost controller at all? My boost stayed where it was. I hope it bacame somewhat easier for the turbo to create it thou.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts