DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone is running a T3\T4
I just bought a T3\T4 (TE60)....Was wondering
what kinda boost levels are safe and times I might run...I ran a 12.49 at 110 with a T3 hoeping to do much better......
Ryan

·
Registered
729 Posts
There are a TON of factors other than the turbo you have that determine how fast you can make your car. The key word is efficiency.
My car isn't currently running, but it will be shortly. I only have a few minor modifications left to do(as funding provides) and I should be getting deep into the 12's with my stock, but nicely ported 14b. Thats faster than most 16g's. I'll post my results as soon as I get them.

Anyways, you don't necessarily need a bigger turbo to go faster. You just need to do the right things to your car.
Just out of curiosity, do you know what they rate the flow on the two turbos you mentioned?
I know the 14b is rated at 405cfm and the 16g is 505cfm and the big 16g is 550 cfm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A T3 super 60 pushes almost 600cfms...With the car partialy tuned with the normal stuff 550,fmic ect....I ran a 12.49
My new turbo a T3\T4 pushes 900cfms! But spools alot slower.....
Leave you know how I do at the track tonight..
Ryan

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well, if you have the fuel and intercooling systems to support that kind of flow, you should definetly go fast. Just remember that a 20g flows 605cfm and has been used to attain 10's. Its all in how well you tune your car. Good luck.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Just out of curiosity, are you doing this to a street car or is it specificly a drag car. It sounds like it would be terrible for normal driving.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think a properly set-up t3/t4 will be very streetable. Well at least no less than a 20g. I believe full boost(30psi) is obtained by 4k rpm. I'll be using a t3/t4 on a stroker motor. The car will be done in the next month or so and will report then.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well first day at the track with the new turbo.....Wasn't to good a bunch of 2+ 60 ft times.....ouch!I must say its much harder with the T3\T4....I did pull a couple 1.7s also. The times sucked! I ran mid 13s most the night and ran one 12.9 Highest mph was 107. I was runnning max of 20psi on maybe two runs. I hope it runs better next week....
Ryan

·
Registered
83 Posts
Josh didn't I meet you at the shootout? I was the drunk with the keg of beer in the truck and was walking around with a Boxer during the car show.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
The T3/T4 is a great turbo with the right combination on your car. Mine had a .50 A/R compressor housing (57-trim wheel), and .58 exhaust housing (Stage II wheel). Spooled as quickly as my 20G, yet pulled harder up top. Unfortunately, I only got the car to the track once when it was running well (upon disassembly of the 30 pass shortblock, we discovered that the rods we used were slightly bent when we put them in (STUPID!! STUPID!! STUPID!!! ;) ) ). This first time in the '91 GVR4 netted a [email protected], backed up with an 11.93 and 11.92. This was with low 1.7 60's, 23 psi (only 30 minutes on the motor)and about 25 minutes of tuning from the 1st time the car started. Unfortunately, when I pulled the motor apart to figure out why it was smoking and found the rods, I also decided to upgrade to a T04E (tangential housing). I have no idea how this is going to work, but Robert from Forced Performance who built this for me assures me that it will spool as quickly (if not more quickly) than my previous setup, with more top end. We'll see.... But, as far as using a T3/T4 on the street, with the right setup, it is an awesome part.

Josh

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm running a BR manifold,and the T3\T4 that they sell also. It has a .82ar housing....I'll have some more time tomorrow hopfully.....
Ryan

·
Registered
112 Posts
That BR manifold is the HKS manifold with number 1 runner tapped for external wastegate right? Can you tell me if the size is identical to stock manifold?...meaning if it bolts the turbo same height and same distance from the motor?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its not the HKS manifold.....They cost 1000 bucks! BR says it is but its not....The HKS one is for a T4 also I think.......The BR manifold has an wastegate flange on number one runner.....It bolt right on in the stock location no problem...It does seem alittle higher at spots....I'd say I have the biggest turbo you could fit in there with the BR manifold.....T3\T4 TE60.......To close to the block.....When I had a watercooled T3 I had a hard time running water lines.....Don't have that problem now since my new Turbo isn't watercooled.....
Ryan
Ryan

·
Registered
83 Posts
I believe the B.R. manifold is a custom piece. They had a equal length tubular header made and used that to help define the internals of their manifold. Of course this is just what I heard.

·
Registered
112 Posts
wouldn't that be false advertising? I am pretty sure that would get them in a big trouble. I doubt Buschur is stupid enough to do that...

·
Registered
83 Posts
adapters only cause problems in the long run though. Due to the thermal cycling and different thermal expansion rates for the manifold and adapter plate they willnever wuite match up after some use.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
The T4 HKS manifolds are no longer available for the 4G63 motor. I was lucky enough to buy a used one about a year and 1/2 ago before they were scarce. You can have an adapter welded onto it for a T3/T4.

Josh

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Read that again...I said "welded" to the manifold. Once it's welded on there...there is no "matching up" . If done properly and with the same material as the manifold, adapters will work fine. You do need to watch poorly designed adapters when looking at the flow aspect however.

Josh

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought an adapater first....The one from XS. I didn't like the way it looked together so I bought th BR manifold....Car feels real fast but times at the track doesn't back it up.....Best trap speed is only 107 on the T3\T4......I was running 110-111 with a T3...Track is close for two weeks so I'll have to wait to try again.....I think my 2nd gen head is holding me back.........

1 - 20 of 26 Posts