DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there is a noticable gain in hp if you remove the power steering and if it is worth the loss in driveablity? Also do you just have to remove the belt or the whole assembly, pump etc. I have a 93 TSI AWD btw. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Me1 (edited October 09, 2000).]

·
Registered
871 Posts
well my 82 rabbit doesn't have power steering and i bought it($500) that way so i don't know how much hp i gained but i'd say in the 20-30hp range on the rabbit :D :D :D
hehe no for real you can't just take the belt off and go drive. people take thier power steering off to lighten the car and when they do this they have to get the non-power steering rack from a nt car(rs model i think). the power steering is kinda like a hydraulic system, meaning if you just unhook it you probably won't be able to stear at all. go out to your car and turn the key to the run position without starting it(to keep the steering wheel from locking)and try to turn the wheel....you probably can't.
personally i wouldn't mess with it at all unless you have a car that just needs to go strait for 1500ft or so.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm sure there is a power limited system that turns off the pump @ a given speed or rpm. Look for the wire that connects to your hydraulic pump.

------------------
Randy on the spot
99 GS-T

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well, my power steering lines burst on mine, the ones that run on the rack, pain in the a$$ to get to and replace, and a biatch to drive!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I dont recommend removing the power steering on a car that comes with it from the factory. You will not notice any gains becuas they are so minimal. What is going to happen is that you are going to were out your linkeage on the steering rack. And that will cost big bucks. It will not happen instantly, but it will happen. We have replaced about 4 sterring racks from people that ran the car with out the power steering. But if you really want to just cut the belt that is all you have to do.

Richard.
954-977-6789 www.thedsmshop.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts