DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
I am buying and hooking up an Apex'i S-AFC this weekend. Is there a good website that can tell me exactly which wires I need, and maybe a wire diagram of the pin numbers for these wires? I want to do this right. Hopefully this thing is worth the money, and will help me convert to a 2G MAF in the near future.

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Registered
448 Posts
FastFWD how is the Apexi S-AFC working out?
I bought one this weekend too and i was wondering if its a good investment.

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Well, since I have the stock exhaust, my S-AFC is just quietly monitoring stuff for now. Next month I will have my full 3" turbo back exhaust, and a fuel pump, and that is when I will really get to put it to the test.

Also, it will come in really handy when I do a 2G MAF conversion, or so I hear. :D

·
Registered
457 Posts
SAFC BEST PURCHASE

I would have to say that my AFC is the best purchase I have made by far except maybe for my ATR exhaust. Granted I need the AFC becuase I have a blaha MAF so it will not run with out it, but it is so handy. You can wire it up to have it read your o2 sensor so you dont have to have a seperate gauge for that. You select how close to the edge you want to run. Our cars run rich to start and I am pulling away as much as 19% of my fuel at some points in my curve. It is a necesity if you want to go fast and dont want to spend the money on the more expensive stand alones. Just my opinion and I am sure someone will disagree with me.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
KILURV8..

KILURV8.. are you using stock injectors?
did the car feel noticably faster..?

I'm running stock injectors I'm not really all the excited about installing mine yet :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Kilurv8, What do you mean when you say that your car won't run without it because you have a Blaha MAF? I don't have a S-AFC, but am going to get the Blaha MAF to get rid of my fuel-cut. Most people say that they work great. What are your opinions on it?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Grim_Reaper said:
Kilurv8, What do you mean when you say that your car won't run without it because you have a Blaha MAF? I don't have a S-AFC, but am going to get the Blaha MAF to get rid of my fuel-cut. Most people say that they work great. What are your opinions on it?
the car will run fine as long as you leave the spring and the door in there. if you take these out of the blaha you have to have something to richen the car up at idle.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I just put in the s-afc and a 2g mas. With the stock injectors you will have to richen it up considerably, even with a fuel pump, etc.
My first goal has been to get the settings to the point that with the 2g mas, it would run the same egts as before the install, with no knock led or fuel trim CEL. As soon as I'm positive of this, I plan on adding these settings to my site for others. I'm very, very close. It should at least, provide a ballpark set-up for others to start at. :)
One thing I've noticed is that the RRE recommended Throttle Point settings for lo and hi don't work for me. I'm at 20% and 60%; I drive uphill alot! I suppose on flat land the RRE settings might work...

·
Registered
457 Posts
My AFC

I have one of Blaha's original MAF mods. He did this one before he found the way to keep a flapper door to let the car run without the MAF. I run 550's in my car now, and I have to have about +22 at idle but then it drops considerably. See the thing is with the AFC, you can tune your car with the LO and HI position so I have my lo settings to get me optimal gas milage since I drive it to and from work everyday (at least when I dont have a broken leg like I do now) and then my HI setting is tuned to my o2 sensor and EGT readings. The cool thing is that when I am just messing around on the road, and accelerate, it splits the two curves if I am not going WOT. The AFC is a way to keep your car safe if you know what you are doing, or a very easy way to BLOW IT UP if you dont know what you are doing. The simple thing to remember is always make small changes and test a few passes at each change and keep your eye on your EGT at all times. In my opinion it is the cheapest way to get the most out of your car. You want it running on the brink of detonation in order to get the most power, but as you can imagine it is very dangerous. I keep mine more in the safe zone than others becuase I still need my car to get to work. Just my opinion. In response to 95GST, the car is a lot faster when you get into WOT with the AFC set right but it has taken me months to find a setting for my car that works. I would not recommend using someone elses figures to tune your car since each car is different, has its own problems, and is set up different. my suggestion is to start at all numbers at 0 and work you way from there, Just remember to start lean in the HI boost area and give it more gas as you get higher in the RPMs to stay safe and keep from fuel cut.

·
Honorary Moderator
1,376 Posts
KILURV8 to all

long-winded but I have witnessed what he is saying

1 - 11 of 11 Posts