DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
?

This may have been posted before, and I'm sorry if it is repetitive. I am currently searching for cars, and I love DSMs, but don't want get stuck in a love-hate relationship in case crankwalk rears its ugly head.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you go by the article written by Magnus Motorsports, then yes, ATs wouldn't be as likely to get CW as MTs. As far as proof of that, I don't have any. But it would make sense, especially if you follow MMs theory.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think statistically 0% of automatics have gotten crankwalk.

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
I bet at least one has of naturaly cw reasons.............
Just get the cars crank endplay checked out before you buy it...

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
Automatics are less likely to get it, since there isn't as much thrust bearing load as with a MT (heh, no clutch)... but I've seen a few automatics get it.. not as high of a percentage as manual cars though.

If I had to guess I'd say somewhere around 10% of automatics will get it, and 50-75% of manuals...

·
Registered
850 Posts
James92TSi said:
If I had to guess I'd say somewhere around 10% of automatics will get it, and 50-75% of manuals...
I don't have statistics, but I would have to disagree with those percentages. 50-75%?? I don't think it's anywhere NEAR that high.

And I read somewhere on here (I think in the A/T forum) that someone said there were like 3 documented cases of A/T crankwalk. That's just heresay, but there you go.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I personaly feel you take care of your car MT or AT and you wont ever get cranks walk.... but that just my opinon 4 Turbo MTs no crank walks I cant be that far off if that other guys is getting it in 50-75% of his cars :)

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
I don't have statistics, but I would have to disagree with those percentages. 50-75%?? I don't think it's anywhere NEAR that high.

And I read somewhere on here (I think in the A/T forum) that someone said there were like 3 documented cases of A/T crankwalk. That's just heresay, but there you go.
Key word in my post: "Guess."

And yeah, I don't think it's far off to say half of turbo 2G-MT cars get it. 75% is probably pushing it. It seems much more rare to find a 2G-MT that hasn't crankwalked vs. finding one that has. Based on my experience with the cars around Houston, I'd say a little more than half of 2G-MT cars have/had it.

As for 2G-AT.. I have fixed one myself. I don't know 9 other people with 2G-AT cars, so that one crankwalked car is greater than 10% of my sampling of 2G-AT cars. Oh well. 2Gs seem to be a risk/reward thing. Reward is that the car is newer and flashier than a 1G... the risk is that your motor is gonna end up being a boat anchor.
I personaly feel you take care of your car MT or AT and you wont ever get cranks walk.... but that just my opinon 4 Turbo MTs no crank walks I cant be that far off if that other guys is getting it in 50-75% of his cars
OK... a few thoughts:

- Where did I say I was talking about 50-75% of my cars? I have crankwalk in 0% of my cars, thank you. Ever heard of a 6-bolt motor?

- "Taking care of your car" has nothing to do with whether it crankwalks or not. Unless your idea of "taking care" is replacing thrust bearings every 6 months, your maintenance schedule has very little to do with it. Brushing and flossing 3 times a day would be just as likely to prevent crankwalk, if you get my drift.

- Do you even know how to check for "cranks walk" (as you called it)? What is the factory spec for crank endplay?

:insert lame smiley to make it all OK:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts