DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine: 4g63 1990 6 bolt

Are the turbo and non turbo 4g63 heads the same? I.E Size of combustion chamber etc. I tried to search, but found no relevant information. Thanks in advance. Btw, sorry for the newb question lol.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea of couse. I was just curious because i wanted to know if the combustion chambers were different and if the cams were different. I would figure the non turbo cams have a little more lift. Also, if the combuston chamber was smaller, id want to use to compression calculator to see where the compression would be.

·
Registered
221 Posts
From my understanding, they are exactly the same except for an insignificant difference in the exhaust cam lift. :p :p

·
Registered
603 Posts
4g63 heads are all the same there only only these differences.

90s have a larger or smaller t stat hosuing?(not sure which again), does not affect anything but they are the same as everything else.

The 6 bolt head and 7 bolt heads use different head studs.

Cams are slightly different but if you have turbo cams throw them in if not dont worry about it. Its not gonna gain you mad JdM hoRse PAwor Yo!!

·
Registered
553 Posts
All I have been hearing is that the cams are of different profile. Not a major factor, but does the springs share the same profiles on both NA and turbo?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Red1991TSI said:
It is my understanding that they are. I believe the cam profiles are different. We are speaking 4g63 to 4g63, not 420a.
Yes they are the same. Cams on a N/T are alittle taller on the intake.

USDM 4G63 (Eclipse/Talon Turbo) Stock 248°/248° 200°/200° .349"/.350" 8.86/8.89

USDM 4G63 (Eclipse Non Turbo) Stock 256°/248° 208°/204° .365"/.349" 9.27/8.86

Pulled from Braincrower.com

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
silver bullit said:
The 6 bolt head and 7 bolt heads use different head studs.
PRE 97 heads can use the 6bolt studs without modification.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What would be the end result if you have your turbo head swapped with N/T? Would there be any advantage or disadvantage? Just trying to understand some.. thanks

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Isn't there also an oil feed line on the turbo head? It may just be a plug on the non turbo heads that can be removed, but I'm not sure. This may be a difference....

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
Correct, it is a plug on NT and 2g 7bolt heads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Engine: 4g63 1990 6 bolt

Are the turbo and non turbo 4g63 heads the same? I.E Size of combustion chamber etc. I tried to search, but found no relevant information. Thanks in advance. Btw, sorry for the newb question lol.
Some NA heads have smaller holes on #1#2 center 2 holes that do not fit over 6 bolt arp head studs without modification .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts