DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been searching and i know about the 23 splines and all that but my question is are the mt and at tcase different because i bought 1 and it won't bolt up also if anyone has any pics of theres can you please post them so I can compare

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
They are different. A 5spd t/c only has 5 bolt attaching it to the trans. The a/t t/c has 6 bolts. To my knowlege all the a/t t/c's are 23 splines. You may be able to use an a/t t/c on a 23 spline 5spd if you cut off the extension for the 6th bolt, but I have never tried it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I believe that the gear ratios are different. If not, get the a/t cheap and swap the guts over in to the mt one. The mounting bullshit is way different. Dont even think of just bolting it on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

I have used a AT Transfer Case Input bevel gear to fix my MT Transfer Case bevel gear which had stripped splines. The tolerance is achieved via washers behind the bearing races in the case, the gears should be matching tolerances so just take the guts that you need (usually the input gear) and it bearing races and install them in the MT transfer case using the MT transfer case shim washers.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well that clears that up. The gear ratios must be different only in the final drive of the trans, and in the rear end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts