DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, of course i have a 91pgt turbo, but the reason im here is because im looking at a 90 laser turbo fwd,
its got the talon/eclipe wing,and some kind of chrome rims,
im selling my car to a friend for 4000$
and i can get this laser for 1700$>

is this car worth me buying it?
its a really nice blue wiht 98k miles

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyone?
whats the common problems?
on the 1st gen ???

i read some where that there are problems with the head? is this true?

·
Registered
129 Posts
$1700 for a FWD turbo DSM with 98k miles is a good deal. :)

First of all go here: www.dsm.org and subscribe to the talon digest (after surfing the site wich will take you about 12 hours! :p ) The very first thing you should check on that laser is if the timing belt was changed. Second, check for the usual stuff you should check when buying a used car (CV joints, ball joints etc.) Check the turbo for free play, oil inside the housing etc. All you need is a phillips screwdriver so you can take the main intake hose. At 98k miles, the ECU capacitors should be due for a change, if you hear a cliking noise comming from under the dash, that means tht the ECU is pretty much toast. Go check the site, it will answer all the questions you might have.

------------------
'92 Talon TSi FWD
K&N cut air can, DDP mbc @ 15 psi
[email protected] 2.5 60ft

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so what happens to the cumputer?
it goes bad,, ??
i never heard of a problem like that before,, very strange,

any other commons problem?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well...
As far as I know, some 91 GSX (like mine) have alternator problems, wich are also common on the 93' Elantra.
I replaced mine once and repair it 3 times now (less than 8 months).
Another common problem on old cars (90~93) are cracks on manifold and turbo housings.

Max B.

·
Registered
157 Posts
ya really wanna know what goes wrong with these cars??? Well, the ECU capacitors have a tendency to melt, so the entire board usually needs to be replaced, couple hundred or so. Also, the biggest problem on the 90's is the tranny!!!! They are garbage. Mine just went out!! It only has 71k on it. Read the posts on the talon archives. Lots of problems with the trannies. Take it and get it rebuilt when ya can. it will shift better than when it came from the factory. Also, make sure timing belt has been changed and yes, check turbo compressor wheel for shaft wobble, and also check fins for nicks and oil.
Some cars, you need to replace the lift strut supports, the things that hold the rear hatch up. they tend to fail. Other than that, most of the car should be ok. just be ready to start replacing **** once you begin to make ur car faster!!! I know I am!!

Mike

------------------
"Usually when you go for broke, you get there."
"It's hard to go home a winner if you never go home."

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so how do i check for the turbo haning play,
i understand turbos, my current pgt is turbo,
but is there a quick way of checking this out?
and how owuld i know if the computer is going bad??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts