DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Honorary Moderator
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there's a local kid selling his red 1988(I think) Fiero. Not sure on the model. And a parts car. The car looks in good shape. What do you think? I'm waffling a little in the dsm/fiero choice. I love small cars and they don't get much smaller than that. And I'd still have a daily driver.
-dna

·
Honorary Moderator
2,889 Posts
Buy a 1g DSM. I heard Fiero are a nightmare. Not only that, but I've heard certain ones can catch on fire? Then again I've heard some DSMs catch on fire as well :D.

Personally I would get a 1g DSM.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The DSM is the better choice. However, I have seen some kit conversions of the Fiero that are kikass. I really like the Fino and Finale kits. Plus you caould cram a 3800 V6 in there and supercharge it! However, the DSM would be so much easier and cheaper to mod and get the same kind of results.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not too sure about this.

There is a local guy here who has invested about $10k CDN (car and all) and is running [email protected] Pretty impressive. He runs the GTP 3.8 SC engine. That thing hauls. Rear eng, rear wheel drive cars rule for traction. Almost as good as an AWD, with the drivetrain loss and extra weight.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I didnt know fiero fans existed.....:confused:

·
Registered
181 Posts
bluedragondsm said:
I didnt know fiero fans existed.....:confused:
HEY NOW!!

www.fiero.nl

ive had 2 and will own more

dont diss them unless youve driven a NICE one, they handle extremely well and are Verry comfy i know about all there is to know about them
in stock form there not fast but will out handle most on the road, drop a
(stock) sieres II SC 3800 in it and BAM!! low 12 sec. car, no shit!!

fires were only in 84 (first year) then there was a recal
most other fires were due to (stupid owners)

what other car from the mid 80's do you see on the road today that is still concidered Styleish

there are ENDlESS motor swap possibilities

there is a member here that is also on the fiero forum and he is in the process of swapping a 1G g463-t in one :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
CanuckDSM said:
Not too sure about this.

Rear eng, rear wheel drive cars rule for traction. Almost as good as an AWD, with the drivetrain loss and extra weight.
thats MID engine, there IS a trunk in the back too :)

·
Honorary Moderator
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the idea of a small comfy corner monster that I can fiddle with. Do an engine swap maybe. Some appearance work, nothing crazy. that's what appeals to me about the fiero. The interior looks like a cockpit. Zoom.
Now a buddy of mine is willing to sell me his 90 fwd tsi. It's a little busted up and burns a little oil. but it has a lot of basic mods and extras. He'd sell it to me for the same price as the 2 fieros. But he might be buying an 89 turbo colt. In which case he would no doubt strip the talon. Meh.
I'm also very tired of looking for a dsm that I like. granted I like all dsms but I haven't been able to find one that I'd be willing to put my hard earned money down on.
-dna

·
1,770 Posts
There is a guy here that put the Corvette LS1 in his Fiero. :eek:

·
Honorary Moderator
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

1988 w/2.5 liter. Hi-flo Cat and chip. Needs clutch work. 44k miles. 1/2 stripped parts car included. new starter. Interior definitely needs work, which I'd do anyway.
$1k. What do oyu think?
-dna

·
Honorary Moderator
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
took it for a test drive. I really want this car. i'm trying to think of reasons not to get it. It ate up corners. Like they wre nothing. Amzing ride.
-dna

·
Registered
222 Posts
Fieros rock in the snow.;) I had an '84 Fiero as my first car (engine was replaced, thank god). After driving that through a few Minnesnowta winters, AWD is like chocolate cake. Hey, at least now I have a reason to feel cocky behind the wheel when its snowy.:p

·
Honorary Moderator
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No doubt it sucks in snow.
I told my gf that I am seriously consiering a fiero after talking DSMs for as long as she's known me. She was like, 'Oh no you don't! I've put up with DSM this and DSM that for a year and a half. You don't get to change your mind. If you don't get one after wanting it this long you'll be very unhappy with a fiero.' she also pointed out that because of me when she goes out she plays the dsm spotting game even when I'm not there.
And it's weird for me too since I've been so hardcore DSM for so long, and Ijust fell in love with this other older beaten up 2 seater after being in it once. Any ideas on that?
-dna

·
Registered
71 Posts
oneof27 said:
No doubt it sucks in snow.
I told my gf that I am seriously consiering a fiero after talking DSMs for as long as she's known me. She was like, 'Oh no you don't! I've put up with DSM this and DSM that for a year and a half. You don't get to change your mind. If you don't get one after wanting it this long you'll be very unhappy with a fiero.' she also pointed out that because of me when she goes out she plays the dsm spotting game even when I'm not there.
And it's weird for me too since I've been so hardcore DSM for so long, and Ijust fell in love with this other older beaten up 2 seater after being in it once. Any ideas on that?
-dna

Go for it,there not very comfortable. kinda like sitting in a Lotus Esprit1990 turbo(story for another time) no room,but speed sure makes up for it:) If you decide to get it v8 is a must! or some kind of turbo or supercharger!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts