DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be getting a 2G AWD for CHEAP, and was wondering if it would be a difficult task to convert to manual transmission... would it be much like the 1G swap or different?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've swapped a FWD 2G to manual. Its much easier than swapping a 1G from what I hear. You dont even have to remove the steering rack or any of that like you do with a 1G. Go for it, I didnt consider the job too hard - Just time consuming. Finding the parts is probably the hardest part. Good luck!

·
Banned
158 Posts
2g's are very easy you do not have to take the rack out, only the steering column. drill 3 holes for the master cylinger, and cut the hole for the shifter cables. One of the layers has already been cut as a template. Everything else is a bolt on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Search for a 5spd comparable to the auto you can get cheap. Take your time and search search search.

If the price difference is less than around 1500 I would not go through the swap. Cheap parts will cause trouble. Well maybe if you're lucky you get good parts dirt cheap, but I am cursed and learned me self a lesson. Buying good parts will definately cost you.

So the question would be can you get good quality parts for the 2G AWD swap CHEAP ?

I've heard that the 1G's are a little more difficult only in the aspect of drilling the holes for the clutch pedal assy. Other than that it's basically the same thing. I've done my 97AWD and I wouldn't call it easy nor a bolt on considering the labor and time. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts