DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a bit on an issue, planned on doing an AWD front axle conversion on my talon, but I found a bit of a clearance issue. The carrier bearing bracket for the intermediate axle hits my oilpan and won't allow me to get it in the tranny.

Question I have is if I get an AWD oil pan is it going to fix the problem? I've contemplated just doing a little adjustment on the oil pan and get rid of the offending bump that just happens to be in the worst spot possible, but I'd like to get it done right and not have to worry if I tweaked the gasket surface and fight an oil leak.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
except the transmission is solidly mounted to the engine block... what I need is to either locate the front diff rear-ward about 1/4"-3/8" (which isn't going to happen) or I need to move my oil pan in that much, or what I'd like to find out is if the AWD oil pan is that much different so I don't have an extra oil pan around that I can't use.

I've looked on the vfaq, but it didn't really tell me much I didn't already know

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Do you have the bracket for the a/c compressor on there? If not the axle wont be straight and could hit the pan.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
There ought to be enough wiggle room to lift the bearing carrier up into position with the axle end halfway into the diff. If not, go ahead and make an adjustment to the oil pan. The AWD pan has slightly more clearance in that area. It won't leak if enough RTV was used.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes it has AC... the problem is I just can't get the intermediate axle into the transmission, it hits the oil pan just enough that it won't go into the diff straight. it's tweaked out away from the engine block, and it's only like 1/4" but it's just enough that it won't go in.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I think I know what you mean. How is the carrier bearing held onto the shaft? If you take it off do you have enough room to put the shaft in? I don't remember having this problem with mine?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think it's a problem with a turbo oilpan, but mine's a NA.

I couldn't find a pan locally, so it looks like I'll just pull mine off and do a little work with the ball peen hammer so it'll fit.

I'll try and take some pictures in the process also

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts