DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between the design in a AWD and FWD downpipe. Are they only different in the way they bolt up to the rest of the exhaust? Could you put a AWD downpipe on a FWD car if you are just dumping the downpipe to the atmosphere and not connecting it to the rest of the exhaust? This is on a 1g car btw.
Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
I believe the main difference in the two is the shaping of it. The AWD DP is pretty much straight while the FWD DP has a slight bend in it. I doubt the AWD one would work unless you REALLY cut it to where it'll match a part of a section of the AWD. Did I make any sense? I hope

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uhhh not really.
I figured the AWD downpipe would be designed to get around the AWD drivetrain. So if you put a FWD downpipe on a AWD it would interfere with the drivetrain components and wouldnt fit, but if you put a AWD downpipe on a FWD car it would have plenty of room and work fine.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
The drivetrain isn't the only difference. AWDs have two crossmembers that run front-to rear under the engine bay.. and FWDs only have one on center (front motor mount bolts onto it as well). An AWD downpipe is designed to clear the AWD crossmembers.. and the FWD one is designed to clear on FWDs. They are not interchangeable.

The cool part about the different crossmembers is that you can look at them to identify AWD or FWD in the junkyard real easily without getting in the dirt to look under the car. Two crossmembers = AWD, one crossmember in the center = FWD.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My Apex'i downpipe on my FWD is pretty damn straight. Not sure how much straighter it can be - maybe a gentle angle or something, but no sharp bends.

Next time I'm under the car I should snap some nice pictures.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
Forgot to say that I was referring to 1G FWD / 1G AWD in my last post. I have no idea about any clearance issuse on 2Gs since I don't see enough of them to start noticing the small stuff like that.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
So if I wanted to I would be able to fit a AWD downpipe on my FWD?
No!!!! The crossmembers and exhaust hangers are different on an AWD. The AWD downpipe will NOT FIT A FWD!!!

Think about it... if it were possible to use an AWD downpipe on a FWD, manufacturers wouldn't even bother making a FWD-specific downpipe. From a manufacturing/sales/support standpoint it would be much easier to make one item that fits both AWD and FWD. But it doesn't work that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts