DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically... has anyone tried any slick tricks to stop that annoying thump whenever you jump on the throttle? Or, DOES ANYONE ELSE hear this? I had the driveshaft guide bearings replaced but that didn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
921 Posts
well if they were replaced and it still doing it then they were installed wrong. the order of the spacers MUST be kept the same. If you didn't do it then I would question the install and if they REALLY were replaced.

there are cars out there with 500 Hp with the stock drive shaft and it doesn't hit. So this is why I question if it was done right or done at all

Bill Marino

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is something you can try..and it does work for the most part. Try and fill the carrier bearings with silicone sealant. We did this on a friends Galant VR-4..and it fixed the problem. Beats buying new carrier bearings and screwing around with keeping track of washers and shims. Just tape off one end of the bearing..and fill the other hole with sealant from a caulk gun. Be sure to let the sealant properly cure..usually takes 24 hours. Hope this helps.

------------------
Ed
http://www.dfwdsm.org/blufalcon
92 Talon TSi/AWD "Blue Bomber"
90 Talon TSi/FWD "TurboMutt"
86 Dodge Colt E "For Sale $350"
"Many dinosaurs have given their lives so I can get my 18 MPG in the city"

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yes the silicone really does work! I've fixed mine like that and I've seen it used on other cars with great results, it is also used on most Rally Lancer's and It works great, It is very important to let the silicone cure before driving again :)

------------------
Mike,
Small 16G
HKS Mega Flow
2G Ported ExhaustManifold
2G Ported o2, 2.5 Greddy DP, 2.5 Test / High Flow, 2.5 Greddy Catback
HKS FMIC (not installed yet)
2.5 CMV UIP
Greddy ProffecA, Greddy Timer, Custom A/F Gauge,
H&R Springs, KYB AGX
Walbro 225l High Press
Japanese Spec "Cyclone" Engine
VDO's

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm intrigued... ok. Now, when you say fill the bearings, does this fill the actual BEARING area or is there some kind of a empty gap/spacer kind of deal going on that allows the shaft to flop around? I'm assuming there must be a gap or something since locking the bearings up might be, well, bad... :D

When I had these replaced the first time, I had the dealer do it (was under warranty). Is it a tough job? (Guess I could go check the VFAQ, eh?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts