DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey dude. Do you know of any reputable shops around here that do clutch work? Thanks man!

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ha! Do I got a story to tell you! I looked in the Pennysaver and The Reader and I found the cheapest place to be 170 bucks for the labor... I thought it was a great deal... The guy said it'd be done at 2 pm ( I took it there at 8 am) and it wasnt't done till 530pm! Crap! On top of that the shift positions for the gears were shifted over so that 2nd gear i straight down instead of 4th! And my two tranny mounts had extremely loose bolts( the bolts that go thru the rubber) and I tightened those. I heard loud clanking sounds from the tranny whacking something...So I told myself that I would take mine ( the next time I had to change the clutch) to Diamond Star Tuning. They are in Rancho Santa Fe about 30 minutes north of me... a little past Del Mar. I have yet to see the facilities... but 190 for labor for FWD and 200 for AWD... and they are a DSM shop... here they are http://maxpages.com/dst I wanna go up there and check them out tho.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that sucks. how'd you finally get it fixed? its hard to find reliable mechanics here. I heard of DST before but I haven't gone there yet. Have you gone to Powerhouse yet in Escondido? they have a big time shop but too many kids work there (its like a bigger Pan Auto). I have a family friend who owns a shop but he's all the way in Temecula. If I have to, I guess I'll just take it to him. Man..its hard to get find good shops these days...

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

[This message has been edited by spltscnd98gst (edited September 22, 2000).]

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hey Ray, I am bringing back this old post because now that DST is probably out of the question... where do us San Diego guys go??? Lee where did you get your clutch done? Other San Diego people? Where do you get your clutch work done??? Thanx

·
Registered
333 Posts
i do all my own work. there isnt any shop in the SD area that is worthwhile, i learned that the hard way.....
but anyways, 2G clutch is a bitch cause 3 of the 4 mounts are on the tranny,
i can help you do the clutch if you want. or i can just do it for you, real cheap. i've done about 18 clutches so far with no problems, rebuilt 9 motors and replaced about everything on the car at least twice. so if you need any help let me know
i got my own engine hoist which makes life real easy for clutch install.
you putting in a lightened flywheel at the same time? or just resurfacing your stock one?
let me know
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lee (edited October 02, 2000).]

·
Registered
482 Posts
Wow no way!! That's awesome man! I may have to take you up on the offer. I'll try to break the stock clutch as fast as I can so I can put in an ACT 2600, and yeah I was thinking of putting in a lightened flywheel... why do you ask is that difficult? Is a lightened one a good idea I have heard a few bad things but have heard more good than bad. Thanx a lot lee!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lee,

Thanks for the offer man! Let me know how much you'll charge. Want to install the ACT 2100 soon. Also the flywheel but don't know much about it yet. Thanks!

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, Greddy IC Piping, Magnecores, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
223 Posts
Labor prices for clutch swaps seem to be cheaper everywhere but here in Alaska. Most shops charge $68.00/hr @ 6 hours for the labor alone.

Bill Norton
98 TsiAWD
91 TsiAWD

·
Registered
333 Posts
only reason i asked about the flywheel is because i also have a lightened 2G FWD flywheel laying around which i'd sell you for $100 in exhange for your stock one. RRE wants $125 for it, thats where i got it. but if not, i am going to trade it in for a lightened 6 bolt awd flywheel.
only thing about the lightened flywheel is that the car tends to buck when you let off the gas.
i dunno. how does $150 sound to you guys. it will take most of the day to do. and the AWD about an hour longer. just trying to help out some local DSMers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts