DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 98 gsx.......ive had it for about 3 months now.....i bought it used....i have a problem with my back up lights........here it is: when i put it in reverse the white lights show up then dissappear!!... and when i go in reverse they don't show up....?? wuts wrong???:confused: :confused: ive been wanting to fix it b/c it might cause me backing up and hitting something b/c they didn't see my back up lights.....anyway....i tried going to the dealership and asked if they can check it out....they said it would take a couple of days and around 100 bucks.....just to check it out!!! :mad: .... so if anybody knows how to fix this problem....please let me know

thanks in advance!! :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I also just recently develpoed this problem, so let us know how to fix it, I recently rebuilt my engine and now when I put it in reverse the lights show up then disapper, I have to slightly move the "shifter" up (towards the front of the car) and hold it there so I can see, someone help, thanx

·
Registered
91 Posts
same thing for 1g...

i bought my car last week, it had been in storage for a year or so. the e-brake was seized and stuff like that, and the back up lights didn't work... well they flickered and didn't work, like you described. well it turned out teh contacts were all corroded from not being used, so i just put it in and out of reverse maybe 20-30 times in a row with the car off and now they work again.

but this is for a 1g, and it was because of low-useage, but i hope this helps.

·
Elite DSMtalker
577 Posts
My guess is its a switch or sensor (dont know how it reads it) that tells the lights that its in reverse. Probably is only getting a brushed signal from teh swtich, kinda like how ebrake lights only work for a second sometimes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
lights

actually it is the sensor on the tranny, all it is is probably corroded and needs to be cleaned, on my car when i did the clutch the reverse lights didn't work at all, n i had the same probs, so yeah, look for the sensor that engages the reverse lights and either clean it or it just might be loose and/or never put on right...?! check it out

·
Registered
309 Posts
The back up switches go out pretty often on these. Just make sure you install the spacer ring properly or the switch will contact the 5th/reverse shift rod and do some damage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The back up switches go out pretty often on these. Just make sure you install the spacer ring properly or the switch will contact the 5th/reverse shift rod and do some damage.
If you have 4 relays behind the master cylinder on the firewall... the 4th from the left is for the back-up lights.. might try that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts