DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone else had tha problems that i have with crankshaft pulleys or better known as harmonic balancers? i have 91 tsi with 100,xxx miles and 96 tsi with 36,xxx miles on them. both spun or broke loose the rubber insert. neither was over tightened with belts nor were they oil soaked. is this common . am i the only one thats having this problem. any help would be appreciated. if any time i can be of help contact me, my e-male address is [email protected] p.s. i have 5 of these critters in our family. i work on them all the time bumper to bumper.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Yep, mine went same way, broke the rubber part and spun off. At the time, I figured that this particular item needed to be bought new from satan, as opposed to used. Still going strong with horsepower steadily increasing. (knock on wood)

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is a common problem...Happened to my 2G last week 88k....Talked to a few of my friends and it broke on two of there cars also....

·
Registered
10 Posts
How go you get them off of the crankshaft? I have a 2G N/T & am using a gear puller (with the center bolt in & loosened.) I've tried for over a week... it just wont budge...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Apparently this is getting to be a common problem. On my 1G turbo, it was really easy to remove and replace. Simply jack up the car, pull the driver's wheel and wheel-well plastic off, and the crank pulley is right there. There's only four (4) 12mm? bolts holding it on. Mine came off real easy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
noGM4me...

The 420a (2gnt motor) does not have a harmonic balancer. What are you trying to remove from the crankshaft?

·
Registered
10 Posts
pully at the end of the crankshaft. drives the 2 accessory belts. Has a rubber gasket showing at the face of the innermost pully. I need to get it off to get to the t-belt cover (1 piece).

Mine is press-fit w/ a single large bolt in the center. I'm told to losen the bolt & use a gear puller, but it aint workin'.

·
Registered
221 Posts
That sounds like the underdrive pulley that powers the accessories and AC. Am I right? I don't know of anyone that was able to remove the pulley themselves. Unfortunately I don't know a whole lot about that area yet, but if you stop by http://www.2gnt.com/forum.html I am sure there is someone there that can help. A lot of people there have the AFX UDP and have done some work in that area of the engine. You can check out http://howell.mountain.net/AFXManufacturing/AFXUDPulley.html to get info on the 30% underdriven pulley. 12+hp to the wheels.

·
Registered
433 Posts
contact me, my e-male address is [email protected]

first you have to give us your proper address.......aol says that "dgtalon92" is not a known member.
i have posted about this before and as you can see by the other responses, this happens a lot.
my best guess is it is a failure due to inertial loads.
the part is two pieces with a rubber insert. the hub is bolted to the motor (a rotating assembly with tons of mass)
the pulley, attached only by vulcanized rubber, is driving the accessories. every time you speed up, slow down or shift you put a huge shear load on that piece of rubber.
if you romp on it and bang the gears all the time, it won't last long.
it's an easy repair but i can think of better ways to spend $100 and an hour of my life........greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts