DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 91 laser rs, it had a 16g evo3 turbo on it, but that went bad on the last guy. He put a stock 14b on it now, its still blowing lots of white smoke out of the exhaust, is that just leftover gunk from the 16g going bad that'll eventually burn out? It has been drivin only 3 times on the new setup with the 14b, but it runs well on the new turbo pushing 12 lbs for now. thanks for anyones help!

·
Registered
577 Posts
You could try cleaning out the intercooler if you havent already, just take it off and swoosh gas around inside of it till it comes out clean. Who knows if the 14b was good when the guy put it in, the 14b could need a rebuild. It's not hard to do, Their is a kit on ebay that I used that the guy will balance your shaft for free, you just have to mail it to him, cost me 75$ total with shiping and I rebuilt mine no problem.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Could be a couple possibilities, I doubt its the turbo if the smoke is white.. If you want to check the shaft play to ease your mind it takes a couple minutes..

Does it smoke at idle, under acceleration or both? How much smoke?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
doesnt really smoke at idle, when we first took it down the road it was a like a smoke machine...it eventually started blowing less and less smoke...the car still isnt in my posession, but we drove it. i just want to get other peoples opinions to make sure the car is in ship shape when i get it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
When I first got my car it smoked a little bit at idle, but It went away soon after. About a month later I took my car to an ac shop to get the system recharged and filled with freon and when I got it back, it was just like you said, a smoke machine. It also smoked less and less as I drove it and it went away soon after and hasn't returned. It was white smoke by the way. My dad thinks that water might have gotten into the exhaust because it was raining hard for hours. It makes sense in my case because once the supposed water burned/ evaporated away it was gone.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I would say it could have been the oil burning from the bad turbo and left over oil in the i/c and intercooler pipes but it would be more like a blueish black smoke...

If the car is blowing white smoke its most likely not in ship shape so I would be weary..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.