DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the rear balance shaft out of phase, so I was thinking of just removing them. I know I can leave the front one in and just take off the belt, but can I take out the rear through the bottom (oil pan) or do I have to remove the cover or oil pump?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Nope, you must remove the front case to get the rear shaft out. No way around it because you need to replace or modify the part of the shaft that stays in the oil pump.

BTW, the mitsu part numbers for the b-shaft removal are:
Front cover cap MD092785 $5.95
Oil pump stub shaft MD098626 $7.61
b-shaft bearing MD103722 $8.02
b-shaft bearing MD040597 $9.26

You wont need the bearings if you can remove the old ones and flip em without mangling them.

The reason for leaving the front shaft in is cuz its a major beeotch to remove with the engine in the car. It can be done if you hack saw thru it once or twice. But even if you do get it out, fliping the bearings would be a nightmare.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

But if I remove the bolt from the balance shaft gear can't I pull the balance shaft through the oil pan, cut it and put the stubby back in.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Uhh, nope

3 things.

1. You need a mitsu special tool to get to the bolt holding the b-shaft to the oil pump gear.

2. There is no way you are getting that shaft out from the bottom. Have you seen what the inside of a 4g63 looks like?
http://www.kentallman.com/justin/Dcp00571.jpg
The top is the 'back' b-shaft. Explain how you think you can pull that out from the bottom?

3. You cant just 'cut' the shaft. It has an oil feed line running thru the middle of it to feed the b-shaft bearing. You need to plug that. And why bother when the mitsu stub shaft costs less than $10?

Have a look at this:
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/balance-shafts.html

·
Registered
635 Posts
If my car has 118K on it right now, when and should I worry about the balance shaft belt breaking? Any warning signs? The guy I bought it from had his mechanic at 107K put in a new timing belt/tensioner/new hoses/belts/and much much more! Thanks.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
pnad said:
Nope, you must remove the front case to get the rear shaft out. No way around it because you need to replace or modify the part of the shaft that stays in the oil pump.

BTW, the mitsu part numbers for the b-shaft removal are:
Front cover cap MD092785 $5.95
Oil pump stub shaft MD098626 $7.61
b-shaft bearing MD103722 $8.02
b-shaft bearing MD040597 $9.26

You wont need the bearings if you can remove the old ones and flip em without mangling them.

The reason for leaving the front shaft in is cuz its a major beeotch to remove with the engine in the car. It can be done if you hack saw thru it once or twice. But even if you do get it out, fliping the bearings would be a nightmare.
He won't need the bearings or the front cover cap at all - if he leaves the front balance shaft in. All he needs is the stubby shaft, front case gasket, oil pickup gasket and oil filter housing gasket.
Also, you don't need to cut the front balance shaft to get it out of the block even with the engine in the car. You just need to lower the front of the engine (which involves unbolting the front subframe) to remove the front balance shaft in one piece and flip the bearings around... It's not really THAT bad as some people make it sound, takes just one hour more. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts