DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the VFAQ it say that you can leave the front balance shaft still in place, What do you guys think about this? I dont really wanna pull the motor out but it's already got the head off so It would be easy.

·
Registered
489 Posts
As you saw in the VFAQ you don't need to pull the engine to remove the front balance shaft, just lower the crossmember and engine enough to get it out. The bearings can be a hassle to remove and replace with the engine in the car.

The gains are weight savings by getting rid of the front balance shaft and slightly better oil pressure by blocking the oil feeds for the front balance shaft.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have my balance shaft in not connected and ive been driving for 1000 miles.(make sure you put a bolt where the balance shaft pully goes so oil doesnt leak like a siv) Another cheap mod you can do is cut the rest of the balance shaft leaving 3-4 inches left for the oil pump to spin. (cut off the weighted part) Then weld up the hole in the balance shaft and you have a free balance shaft elim kit. Ive done it on my car and it is doing fine. You can send me all the money you saved on a kit to me.

·
Honorary Moderator
4,838 Posts
I used the stubby shaft and bought a cap from the stealership for the front shaft. I knocked off both bearings (carefully,) rotated them and tapped them back in. This can be done with the motor in the car. Just follow what Darksyne & OddRob posted... ;)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Darksyne said:
As you saw in the VFAQ you don't need to pull the engine to remove the front balance shaft, just lower the crossmember and engine enough to get it out. The bearings can be a hassle to remove and replace with the engine in the car.

The gains are weight savings by getting rid of the front balance shaft and slightly better oil pressure by blocking the oil feeds for the front balance shaft.
I've seen & heard of cases where after the bearings were rotated, oil pressure was abnormally high & had to do some porting to relieve the pressure:
http://www.utdsm.org/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album12

1 - 6 of 6 Posts