DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I raced a 3000gt tonight for about a quarter mile. One of my friends started the race, badly, he dropped his hands too quick and we both got horrible launches. He took me off the line by about a car length (I really screwed up the launch :mad:). I quickly gained on him in first gear, and then we were dead even until about 80. He pulled a little on me, but then I pulled on him again, and I took him by about 5 ft. at the end of the race. I was kind of dissapointed in the race, because of the horrible launch, but at least I beat the top of the line mitsu. car!

The 3000gt was the base model 1994: 222 hp. about 3200 lbs. w/o driver.

My car is almost stock 1991 Talon TSI AWD: K&N, BCS restrictor removed, shortened shifter, MAS mods.

It was a fun race, but we have to rematch!

·
Registered
54 Posts
well, yes and no, you did beat the top of the line make. The bottom of that makes models.

And was it an SL or a base? I don't remember for sure, but one of those years they had the 160HP SOHC motor in the bases.

Either way, you killed him, and that's a good thing, but do a few more mods and you'll be able to start really giving the VR4 a run for it's money!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is one of my good friends and I know his car. He has the base model, but it is the 3.0L DOHC 24v motor. I know that the stealth base model is the 160 hp. motor for some years, I'm not sure which. His 94' is a second generation 3000gt, and the only difference between his car and the SL, are the options that come with the car stock, and a different spoiler.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha, didnt notice that you are an owner of those cars! Nice cars, I really love them! They are a bit on they heavy side though.

Did you ever run either or those cars at the track? If so, what kind of timeslips were you getting?

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Stealth, long ago I ran at Thunder Valley with only a Bleeder Valve (set to 17psi- VERY bad idea- lots of knock which causes timing retard), and a K&N- I ran a [email protected] with a 1.96 60'.

The VR4 is my wife's and no, she hasn't run it, and whereas I have ran against a few guys (and one girl in a Z06) I have never hit the track with it.

They are a bit heavy- about 3800lbs, with most of them in the 3600-3700 ranges. The Spyder runs 4000+!!!

However they do move extremely well- we have a few members who ran 13.5x on stock 1st gen's and a lot of guys in the 13.3 and lower on the 2nd gens (one guy hit a 13.08 and backed it up on a bone stock 96 Stealth TT).

easy to push to 12's, fairly easy into the 11's. mid 11's and lower is still interesting to get to.

But we have a better aftermarket coming up, and that should help a ton!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
mmm 97 VR-4's are sexy.
I was in love with that car for so long. I stalked it.
Nice kill by the way. Next time try a VR-4 and tell us what happens :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
/me runs outside and pets his big green monster...yes......muhahahahaha!
Err, ok, Good race. I raced my friend's 96 SL, it was a fun race, beat his ass by like a car length.
SLs are good cars, they are basically top of the line automatics, they have the features of the VR-4 except the active aerodynamics, the two extra turbos, and in some cases the 6 speed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My friend has a 5-spd. And the SL is the SAME car as the base in 1994, except for appearance and luxury options.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is not much of a weight difference either between the base model 3kgt, and the awd talon. You have a fwd, which doesn't have the added weight of the awd drivetrain.

the tsi awd talon is about 3100 lbs. w/o driver, the 3000gt is about 3150-3200 lbs without driver. You can check the kbb or edmunds to verify this.

·
Registered
357 Posts
3000GTs feel huge when compared to a 1G DSM.

Sure, this car is a lot faster compared to Staci, but Staci was a lot more fun to drive simply because of the "I'm going to kill you" exhaust + turbo scream.

Also, 140 mph in Staci felt like I was an inch above the road and the car was going to explode at any second, but 160 in Carissa felt like I was gliding over the road.

It's like comparing a nitro Harley to a dirt bike.

Oh well. The 3000GT is simply sex on wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts