DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a beginner at DSM's and cars in general. I recently purchased a 90 Laser RS Turbo. Does anyone know some beginner modifications I could do to get to know the car a little better?

·
Registered
323 Posts
To unleash the increased power of the turbocharged motor, you need to allow the turbo to breath more freely, on the intake and exhaust side. You should start at the ends of the system and work inward. Before you start to purchase any performance upgrades though you may want to do some of the free mods on your vehicle if it hasn't been done already. www.diamondstarspecialities.com/dss-ft&t.htm

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
Danny's right... free up exhaust and intake. Also, raise the boost.

Best and easiest beginner mod to get your feet wet is replacing the stock air filtration with a K&N fipk or some other aftermarket kit.

See http://www.dsm.org/how-tos/recipe.htm for more.

Congrats on the car purchase :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Although the previous two replies are very true, the best thing to do first is make sure the car is in good working order. Do a tune up, plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter. It also wouldnt hurt to do a compression test, or have one done. Check all the vacuum lines for cracks and brittleness, and maybe even replace all of them to be safe. Check all hoses and belts. It would also be a good idea to have the timing belt changed if you dont know the last time it's been done.
Although these might not be fun things to do in terms of working on a car, they will ensure good performance later on. Good Luck.

-Dave

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I really am enjoying my new car. Looking at the things you guys said and researching them have already helped me out. Hopefully I can keep learning more and more. Thanks again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
While doing the tuneup go with NGK BPR7ES plugs. These are one range colder then stock. Also when opeing up the intake, there is this stupid little round restrictor in the aibox. It is round it is called a silencer in real terms. Technically it is a POS that just blocks airflow.

------------------

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just be glad you dont have a 2g. Where all your performance mods would go straight down the drain without replaceing that stupid plastic bov.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts