DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive already got a 3" polished stainless downpipe.. now im looking for a cat-back..

my criteria are:

1: 3" mandrel

2: not too loud (obscene)

3: if at all possable dual tips insted of one big one.. not much chance of this I gather :(

any thoughts?

so far my canadates are the Apexi WS or greddy SP.. both can be found for ~500.. but I want to know all the options.. or as many as possable..

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alrighty then, well that fails all the criteria I set.. but thanks for playing, tell him what hes won Bob!

lol j/k, those are good exhausts, a buddy has one, a tad too noisy for my taste though..

also.. why are almost all the exhausts a single big tip insted of 2 smaller (2.5" or so) ones I for one like the dual tip look myself..

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
im selling my 2.5" mandrel bent catback if you are interested? its been on the car a few months. pm me if interested. could do around $220?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Go for the Apex WS. I have it and it's great. Except it ticks now! Does anyone know why my exhaust keeps ticking??

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im selling my 2.5" mandrel bent catback if you are interested? its been on the car a few months. pm me if interested. could do around $220?

is it loud? what kinda tip? what brand?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
igs said:
Go for the Apex WS. I have it and it's great. Except it ticks now! Does anyone know why my exhaust keeps ticking??
The tick is an exhaust leak.

The cheapest way to go about this is to buy some mandrel bends and a muffler, and have a local shop weld it up for you. I was going to say go with a Dynomax Ultraflow, but if the Buschur system is too noisy for you, the Dynomax would drive you nuts. My whole cat back system cost me about $80 parts and labor combined. It is pretty damn loud though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Apexi N1 is really nice, its got a nice low growl, ($490 from RRE) then get RRE's dual tip conversion, looks really stock from pics ive seen

·
Registered
548 Posts
My neighbor just got a cat back for his maxima, the muffler is a polished-SS dual tip, but it's a no-name thing. They can be found. Thing is, they're gonna be chambered mufflers which aren't much of an improvement over stock I suspect. A straight-threw setup will get the most gain but they're gonna be loud.

Personally, I like a stock looking sleeper. I'd love to find something with decent flow, isn't loud, and has good performance gains.

If the tip is bigger than the actual exhaust piping, that's just a show thing, and to me = rice. If you have a 3" exhaust and a 5" tip, the effing tip isn't adding performance, it's just a style statement at that point and begging for someone to stick grapefruit in.

·
Registered
619 Posts
N1's aren't loud per say... but they do carry sound all over the place. Like it's not "Motorcycle with straight pipes", at idle, one can hear my car across the street, and it can be heard from about a mile + change if you really go WOT.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
magnaflow is nice and quiet, but has a good sound :)

i have a 3" turbo back with a hayame muffler and i really like how it sounds. it is real deep and resonant sounding, but when i get on it hard it's pretty loud, but with a good sound :) i'm really satisfied with the sound/performance of the hayame, though they are a little pricey.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I got my 2.5 dp then expanding to 3" right after the flex plus my magnaflow muffler all put on parts, labor, shipping for $375. I ordered the mandrell bends and got the shop to do it that way.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
i like it a lot, its just that im selling my car, getting a 3kgt vr-4 and i dont want to sell the car with the exhaust. how much would you pay just for the piping? the person who wants to buy it, wants the muffler. let me know. mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
176 Posts
my new car came with a 2 1/2 inch thermal turbo back. nice tone from it. not TOO loud. its pretty nice, but its got a big tip. stupid owners before me.
*nick*

·
Registered
100 Posts
Magnaflow makes some good sounding mufflers. I have a 3'' turbo back that I made on my car with a stainless perf core magnaflow muffler on it single 4" tip though.
I think it sounds excellent not too loud around the street just
a pleasant growl plus you can hear the turbo spooling through it.
It is extremely loud at WOT you can easily hear it a mile away and, it sounds like a jet at takeoff, so it might be louder than you're looking for. Still it only cost 250$ to make the whole thing myself.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would love to make my own, but I dont acess to any mkandrel bent pipe and the local muffler shops REALLY suck.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea. those look nice, and since im only gonna run a T-28 (from AGP) I dont REALLY need full 3" anyway..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts