DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I was wondering what the best cold air intake for performance is for a 1999 Eclipse Spyder GS. I am looking to spend less than $250.

Provide brand and links if possible.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
x97dsmx said:
Waste of money turbo it.
You fucking moron, did you seriously just say that?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I don't see just how much of a difference there is between an ebay cold air intake vs a brand name intake. Don't think you will see much difference between both CAI's. Unless you need it to be street legal, then I would go with aem, if that is not a concern to you, get an ebay CAI, then go to autozone and get yourself a K&N filter. And spend that extra cash on some other goodies :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
IMO, it is a waste of money to buy a "name brand" intake system. A pipe is a pipe, so why not do it eBay style and then just ditch the pos element filter and grab a K&N? $70 max.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Just make sure to cut your pipe in a way that you can have a short ram intake on the rain season, then place a coupler and have a CAI when is nice and warm outside... Hydrolocking a car is no fun...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i guess it does have to be street legal.

i was leaning towards AEM anyways so ill probably go with the v2

·
Registered
252 Posts
The 'turbo it' comment was a bit out of line, but I'll give you my opinion:

Why oh why do people always want to spend above $200 on a hard intake system? :confused: What's the deal? Let me give you some advice - go to your local exhaust shop, have them mandrel bend you some 3" pipe for about $20-$40. These shops can bend you a good intake that actually works and doesn't suck hot air into your system like an eBay one or cost over $200 like AEM. Purchase a few couplers, a reducer for the throttle body, and clamps from your hardware store, then buy a good cone filter (about another $20). Basically for $60-$70 bucks, you have something that's way better than the ones on eBay because the bends are to your specs and won't require coupler after coupler, plus it's way cheaper that all that namebrand silliness and performs exactly the same - if not better.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've had experience with both "Name Brand" intakes and E-bay intakes and honestly there is no difference, the only issue i've ever ran into was the ebay pipe that goes to the TB was'nt bent enough so you would probably need like a elbow to make it fit but they're all different, i prefer the ebay intakes considering that its just a pipe and cost WAY less or have one custom fabbed your choice!

·
Registered
374 Posts
The prob. with ex pipe bent to fit is that in humid weather it tends to rust on the inside and then your hurtin if a flake is sucked into your engine.

·
Registered
601 Posts
A pipe is a pipe. Only honda boys worry about stupis ass intake pipes. Just ebay that shit and get a better cone.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just remove the air filter box, put cone filter on end of intake hose and you are done. It will sit right where your oem air filter usually sits also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts