DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my story, a littler over a year ago when I stepped on it on the freeway to merge, my eclipse then blows major smoke and refuses to gain speed floored. Case in point, fried piston rings.

So heres my problem a year later, i'm ready for a rebuild and don't know where to start. Can I possibly pull my block, send it to a machine shop, buy new pistons, and have them hone it and all that good stuff? Or do I need a new block?

I just want to get my baby running again, and back on track to hit my project goal.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I would say get the cylinders honed, its worth it. New rings would be good, new bearings as well. Might be a good time to spend a little extra and get yourself a good set of rods and pistons to strengthen the motor while its out of the car. If you ever have the chance to make something stronger, take it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to reuse my block. I definitely think I will be going with reinforced pistons, 1g rods, APR studs.

Maybe a new crank? any advice on that?

·
Registered
532 Posts
If your cranks in good condition you should be fine. Just have the machine shop take a look at it.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Micro polish it but DO NOT get it turned.

I would suggest ACL Race bearings, best on the market and not much more expensive than stockers.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
If you have the money you can always get a stroker kit for the car. Bump displacement to a 2.3 or 2.4 if you bore the cylinders....

·
Registered
532 Posts
+1 on micro polish sorry forgot to say that.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
IvanPSI said:
Thanks for the info, I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to reuse my block. I definitely think I will be going with reinforced pistons, 1g rods, APR studs.

Maybe a new crank? any advice on that?
If your still running the 7 bolt I would go with eagles or something similiar, 1g rods will not work in a 7 bolt motor.. If the crank isn't scratched up then I would just get it micropolished like suggested, but a new crank wouldn't be a bad Idea if you current crank is in bad shape.. The only thing is they get a little pricey.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
93_GSX said:
If you have the money you can always get a stroker kit for the car. Bump displacement to a 2.3 or 2.4 if you bore the cylinders....
Thought about it, but its not in my budget currently.

On a side note, what do you all think about Nippon pistons? Good? or just a POS from ebay?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Havent really heard much about them, there is a guy selling a set of almost new ones on here.. I know you cant look at the classifieds yet but I just thought I would tease you..:)

·
Registered
532 Posts
turbolover said:
Havent really heard much about them, there is a guy selling a set of almost new ones on here.. I know you cant look at the classifieds yet but I just thought I would tease you..:)
What a tease :p lol just kidding, I i would go with OEM or a name brand.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Nippon pistons are great, i've put them thru hell is several different cars, never had a single problem with them, they seem to take detonation better than the oem's also. To the person who asked why the crank can 't be cut, the reason is because they are a steel crank, and the overall strength of the crank is stronger, but the surface strength is weaker and it has to be hardened so that it doesn't wear with bearing contact, when you turn them you remove most to all of the hardened layer just going .010 under, so you are taking a big risk with reliability down the road, many have turned them with no problems but you'd be better in the long run to just get a good uncut crank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
turbolover said:
:eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts