DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked crutchfield.com and a help support guy said that these Boston Acoustics were the best speakers for the price range I was looking for.
Boston Acoustics S65

Are these good speakers, or are there better between $100 and $150 (shipping included). I'm not looking for anything fancy, it's just my driver side door speaker blew, and I want a decent fix. Also, my brother said that JL Audio make better speakers than JL Audio, so which should I buy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
EDIT: JL Audio makes better speakers than Boston Acoustics. If I should get JL Audio speakers, any reccomendations for my price range?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
There are at least 100 different 6.5" speakers out there and about a 1/3 of them are in your price range. My advice, go out and do some listening.
Also, JL makes a good speaker (they now have VR, XR, TR and ZR lines) but JL will not warrenty any product unless purchased from a authorized dealer. Boston may be the same way :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
I have infinity reference all around and they sound damn good ....plus they wont hurt your bank account like the kappas would.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What brand would you reccommend though...Alpine, Infinity, JL, Clarion? Are those bostons well worth the money, or should I keep looking?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
158 Posts
Get the infinity reference series speakers. You will be very happy with them. Also the reference series 12 inch sub. You can not get a better sub for the money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,794 Posts
the bostons will sound 1000x better than the infinity's. i can't even count how many infinity's i've replaced with boston speakers for a much happier customer. the boston's compared to the jl audio TR's are a close call, but i would give the edge to the bostons. just have a warmer fuller sound than the jl's. but i have a set of jl TR 5 1/4's in some cheesy speaker boxes i made for my home stereo that sound incredible, you would never know there isn't a sub behind my entertainment center. if budget allows it, i would really recommend going with the s60's though, the component set will sound way better than the coax. but everything i own except my head unit is BA though so i may be a bit biased ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pb4ugotobed said:
the bostons will sound 1000x better than the infinity's. i can't even count how many infinity's i've replaced with boston speakers for a much happier customer. the boston's compared to the jl audio TR's are a close call, but i would give the edge to the bostons. just have a warmer fuller sound than the jl's. but i have a set of jl TR 5 1/4's in some cheesy speaker boxes i made for my home stereo that sound incredible, you would never know there isn't a sub behind my entertainment center. if budget allows it, i would really recommend going with the s60's though, the component set will sound way better than the coax. but everything i own except my head unit is BA though so i may be a bit biased ;)
I'm gonna go with the coax. ones because of budget. Thanks for the help.

btw, where do you work?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
bryanwheat said:
Get the infinity reference series speakers. You will be very happy with them. Also the reference series 12 inch sub. You can not get a better sub for the money.
Bullshit. I would take a Fucking Image Dynamics IDQ over an infinity reference any day of the week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
LOL; threads like these keep the big brands in business. Funny thing is that of those 100 6.5" options, they're all more or less variations on the same lame-ass theme.

Just stay away from dohickey multiways, lots of chrome, pure diamondunobtaniumtungsten cones (TM) stupid marketing terms, and anything that looks too good to be true.

I'll agree with PB4: The simpler, better built stuff intended for the more mature user, as a category, typically sounds better. If you have the cash, go Dynaudio or Morel, and get a really competent designer and installer to do the job right.

That said, the sound you eventually get has far more to do with your source and amp(s) than you think. If you know what you're doing, you can install $200 in raw speaker parts and crossovers, a couple grand in amp and front end, and really blow yourself away.

What I'm trying to say is don't get too wrapped around the axle thinking speakers are the only thing that counts and that there are fightin' word differences between any two pairs of overpriced tinsel $250 door speakers. There isn't.

More harm's probably been done to good sound by folks thinking all electronics sound alike and all speakers don't than any other myth in audio...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,794 Posts
SQTalon said:
bostons pro and Z series speakers are amazing...but in that price range I'd get some JL Tr series speakers.
i have plenty of experience with both lines of product, and the boston's will have a fuller warmer sound, especially off deck power which he is intending to do, at least for the time being. i own the Z series and run a buttload of power to them, but not a fan of the pro's really. a bit bright for my tastes, the Z's are much smoother and leave the pro's behind like nothing when you start cranking it up.

i agree with jon lane completely. the install will do more than the product you use. you can have boston Z's, a pair of g5 10's, plenty of amplifier for both, and we'll say a clarion 9255. if it's installed wrong, someone that knows what they're doing can use all entry level stuff and make it sound a million times better. knowledge is key. :)

i work in my bay, at least 1500 miles from you :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pb4ugotobed said:
i have plenty of experience with both lines of product, and the boston's will have a fuller warmer sound, especially off deck power which he is intending to do, at least for the time being. i own the Z series and run a buttload of power to them, but not a fan of the pro's really. a bit bright for my tastes, the Z's are much smoother and leave the pro's behind like nothing when you start cranking it up.

i agree with jon lane completely. the install will do more than the product you use. you can have boston Z's, a pair of g5 10's, plenty of amplifier for both, and we'll say a clarion 9255. if it's installed wrong, someone that knows what they're doing can use all entry level stuff and make it sound a million times better. knowledge is key. :)

i work in my bay, at least 1500 miles from you :)
Is the S series a good line? And I was just asking like what store you work at, hah
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,794 Posts
the S series is their entry level speaker. for them it's bottom of the barrel. don't get me wrong, for the price it's a great sounding speaker, but they have like 4 series above that. if your budget can swing it, i would try and get the line up from that, the SX. great bang for the buck, and later if you decide to add an amp they'll really liven up. one step up from that is the SL's. i had a set of SL's in my talon and they did great. but the Z series make the SL's sound like poo poo in comparison. then again, very few are willing to spend that kind of money on a component set, and usually the few that are willing are nitpicky assholes ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
I have a set of MB Quart 6.5" in my front doors. I absolutely love how they sound, plus you can't beat a 3 year warrantly.

And the titanium tweeters sound a-mazing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
I personally have Eclipse speakers front and rear. Only reason I got them is because I won them in an auction off eBay for just under $100. They work awesome for me but they are forcing me to invest in some dynomat (more weight for the GSX :( )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
well for mid's and highs i would have to say that the eclipse point source stands above most others problem with them is there 180 a pair. alpine type r is your best compairabul option without the huge price tag, as for subs go there is so many its hard to say.. jl audio, eclipse, alpine type r/x, but in my oppenion i prefer VolfenHag there german 1000 watt.. i love them i have 2 12's in my eclipse and they're perfect crisp and clear. ill post pics later!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
i say as long as they are name brand, you'll be ok. like knewblewvette said go listen. its all up to your ear and the music you listen to, amps you may have, etc. at my shop we sell alpine, jl, sony, kenwood, infinity, diamond, pioneer. they are all good, its what you prefer, bright highs, or better mid bass response, etc. decent speaks are going start at about 100 dollars.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top