DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont wanna goto the body shop because they want to charge an arm and part of my leg to fix some rust, and I am planning on painting it soon andways so does anyone have nay good tips on fixing rust aorund wheel wells, and a couple small parts mabey 3"x3" rusted through then i want to sand the whole car down and have it ready to be painted...

·
Registered
672 Posts
the best way to fix rust is to replace the panel that's rusted.. then second best way would be to cut out the rusted area, make a 'patch' the exact size of the rusted area you cut out, and weld it into the rusted area... eitherway fixing rust ain't cheap or easy to do..

·
Registered
977 Posts
My uncle has always told me. "Fix rust, hah, thats what they make bumper stickers for." :) Well you could always sand it down to bare metal and use some bondo to fill in the gaps that the rust left.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Bondo will absorb water and pop paint. So you want to use it only where it will be sealed in. That means you need metal or something behind it like a fiberglass patch.

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
duraglass =) bondo with fiberglass fibers, i dunno depends on what kinda fix ur lookin for, duraglass is good stuff but if u dont want it to fuck up in 2yrs id try getting a patch welded on

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so should i try bondo with the fiber hair the rust really isnt that bad jsut kinda long in a few spots

·
Registered
672 Posts
the duraglass works... but if I'm gettin rid of rust, I want it to stay away for good... but good luck on fixing your rust... I hate fixing rust personally, cause it's alot of work no matter which way you go

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
My other car is a '79 Trans Am. This car came from the factory with zero rust protection. The bottom side is bare metal and it has seen plenty of snow and salt but it has no rust. So what is the secret?

I use a rust preventative - Consol Clear M3. Even so, eventually water will work into body seams and rust will occur but using a preventative keeps this to a minimum. What rust does happen I have professionally repaired followed by another coating of rust preventative. My DSM gets the same treatment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts