DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You're on the right track. now go get an SAFC and tune your car the right way. you will notice a difference between a fat .95v and a proper .86v.

------------------
Tony
95 GSX
96 TSI
90 GST

·
Honorary Moderator
1,600 Posts
Not to many people have been happy screwing with the 2G MAF to lean things out. Certainly don't remove the side honeycombs. I agree with Overboosted... get the old or new style SAFC and you'll be very happy.

------------------
Quadcylla
92 Laser RS-T FWD

[This message has been edited by Quadcylla (edited August 30, 2000).]

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>. It does all this by reading less air then is coming in and so the fuel maps and timng maps are addressed more aggressively since the ECU thinks there's less air.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Isn't Blaha's honeycomb hinged to flap open at WOT?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was wondering about the Al Blaha and boosted performance MAS. Do these outshine the stock ones for the price??? Has anyone experienced using one of these??? Also, where are these MAS sold? I cannot find them on the web. anyone have a URL for them?

I don't want to remove the honeycombs from my MAS due to the rough idle and check engine light that may come on. Do these new MAS have any ill side effects???

Thanks
ed
www.geocities.com/mospeed9844

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
first off
do you have a 1G or 2G?

------------------
Tony
95 GSX
96 TSI
90 GST

·
Registered
217 Posts
Oops, Sorry!

I have a '99 GST with:
GReddy intercooler piping, GReddy exhaust, GReddy Profec, GReddy BOV, filter. And of course all the gauges (EGT, boost, air/fuel).

·
Honorary Moderator
1,600 Posts
The Al Blaha MAS is not a different MAS... it's a modified stock MAS. What 'better' qualities are you looking to get? Blaha's mod will get rid of fuel cut, pre-fuel cut and MAS overrun while maintaining a relativly normal idle. THe only side effects are possibly some minor transition effects... but the power gain is noticible. It does all this by reading less air then is coming in and so the fuel maps and timng maps are addressed more aggressively since the ECU thinks there's less air. Also the limits set up on air are pushed way back basically making them dissappear. BTW I also do a similar mod to 1G MAFs. Go read my page on MAF (or MAS) Theories if you want to understand all the issues here.

Also removing your lower honeycomb may have no effect on your idle.... every 1Gs idle breaking point seems to be different.

So what are you looking to get from a "better" MAF?

------------------
Quadcylla
92 Laser RS-T FWD

·
Honorary Moderator
1,600 Posts
I guess we were both posting at the same time :). I don't believe Al has one for 2Gs.

Also 2G unit is a supirior MAF so I ask what you are looking to achieve?

------------------
Quadcylla
92 Laser RS-T FWD

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was looking to lean things out JUST A BIT, I'm assuming that is why people who own 2g remove the lower honeycombs. Is my understanding incorrect??? My EGT's and air/fuel show I'm running real rich. .95V and never passed 860C EGT.

------------------
'99 GST
http://www.geocities.com/mospeed9844
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Intercooler Piping
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
Front and Rear Strut Bars

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not the honeycomb, but in the unmetered section he has a flapper that does this. it is so the car idles better if you have no fuel control and can't compensate for the opening of the MAS. I have his MAS on my beater and no AFC, and with the flapper in place it idles like stock but without it it falls on its face. So in other words it works.

------------------
Tony
95 GSX
96 TSI
90 GST

·
Honorary Moderator
1,600 Posts
Ya he does some cutting to allow more air thru the unmetered section at wot therefore fooling the ECU into thinking there is less air then there really is. But the problem is with idle where the lowered volume of air thru the metered section is not great enough to maintain a proper idle. So the flapper door hangs down into the unmetered section to block some airflow making it at just like it was never cut (well close enough for the ECU to compensate). But at wot when the airflow increases the door swings out of the way and you get all the benefits of the cutting. If you're interested in my version of the mod email me... I won't contaminate the board here with a sales pitch ;).

------------------
Quadcylla
92 Laser RS-T FWD

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ask Al how many times his spring/flapper mechanism failed and someone sucked a spring or flapper into their turbo.

There is an Eprom chip inside the mas(much smaller that the one in the ecu) that boosted reprograms. They also remove all of the restrictions in the unmetered section and both honeycombs. The reprogramming allows for perfect air/fuel ratio, and pushes fuelcut back far enough that you should be able to run 25psi before you hit it.

·
Honorary Moderator
1,600 Posts
Best bet for 1Gs is to gut the lower section (no door) then get and SAFC. The SAFC allows you to find your perfect a/f ratio and the gutting will allow you to avoid MAF overrun. The AFC can also allow the idle to be maintained even if the lower section was gutted. Or swap in a 2G MAG and 550 injectors with the SAFC.

Best bet for 2G guys... just get an SAFC.

------------------
Quadcylla
92 Laser RS-T FWD

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Some people with 2Gs and the new SAFC have removed the maf altogether. I don't know how they got away with it but there ya go.

·
Honorary Moderator
1,600 Posts
:confused: THere must be more to that. The SFAC only boosts (or reduces) the frequency of the MAF signal... a boost of 0 is 0. If anyone knows more about this please post... I'm very curious.

------------------
Quadcylla
92 Laser RS-T FWD

·
Registered
729 Posts
Now that can't be. How could anyone be so blessed as to be able to rid themselves of the mas without a vpc???

Since the afc only modifies the original mas signal i cant imagine how it would work without the mas.

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Ask Al how many times his spring/flapper mechanism failed and someone sucked a spring or flapper into their turbo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, asking probably won't do any good :). Not to criticize the product, its used on some powerful workhorses, but I do know of one case where that in fact happened.

------------------
Ted - 95 GSX
[email protected] MPH

[This message has been edited by WhoaTed (edited August 30, 2000).]

·
Registered
350 Posts
I use a Blaha MAF and SAFC on my 1g and noticed a great deal. Once you install an AFC you get rid of the spring and door inside of the MAF. I evan was able to "open atmosphere" my BOV without any problems and a good idle.I definitly recomend it.

------------------

·
Registered
836 Posts
could anyone please tell me what'd AL Blaha's web site address?
Thanx!
Mike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts