DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished putting the motor back in but now that I'm home from break I wanted to pull everything out and clean it all up.

I'm grinding the whole bay down, welding up all the bolt holes, the stock IC hole, and the ABS hole on the other side, along with some strut tower rust.

Here is my strut tower rust. I ran out of cutting disks for now but you get the picture.

I started cutting.. Rust was a little worse than I hoped but it should still not be a problem.

What do you guys who have repaired rust put inside of these openings between the two pieces of metal?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Re: Look what I'm doing!!

I don't have the answer you are looking for but I'm interested in the same thing as you. My brother is looking at a TSI with about the same amount of rust on the exact same tower actually. That bay is going to look nice all shaved though!

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah you can see in my avatar it looks super nice with everything like ac, ps, abs out of it. Now I have a welder and am about to weld all the holes up and re do the whole bay then put the car back in storage!

·
2,474 Posts

Just remember one thing, don't weld up holes that you have to use. Seems obvious but a lot of guys get carried away when shaving a bay and fill holes that need to be there.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yeah, what I do is the moment I take off something, I put the bolts back in so I know which ones I need.

·
Registered
575 Posts

Neat you can do that, i wish I could weld.
Anyhow, as the project continues keep taking pictures and post them :)

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I will for sure.. I actuallyl might start up a build thread from when I got the car 2 years ago but who knows.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Do the pictures at the top of this thread look good enough? All the pictures I have from everything are from an Iphone 4.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

So my buddy's dad just told us to go buy ourselfs a welder with his debit card since we helped him unload his wifes moped off a truck haha... So we went and bought a lincoln 120 mig!! So I've been welding up all the bolt holes. Its pretty tedius work on the holes with nothing behind them and being so thin, but I think it will come out nice. Going to head down to do more so I'll snag some pics.

·
Registered
44 Posts

So my buddy's dad just told us to go buy ourselfs a welder with his debit card since we helped him unload his wifes moped off a truck haha... So we went and bought a lincoln 120 mig!! So I've been welding up all the bolt holes. Its pretty tedius work on the holes with nothing behind them and being so thin, but I think it will come out nice. Going to head down to do more so I'll snag some pics.

Did you figure out which holes your gonna need to keep, or are you just welding them all and worrying about it later?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

When I took everything put of the bay I left the bolts in the holes I need to keep.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Okay, my break is winding down with only about a week left and Ive gotten a lot done. I figure I should keep everyone up to date.

I started welding up the holes I knew I wasnt going to use anymore with a little mig welder.

I wanted to really be able to get the bay looking clean so taking out the subframe was a must.

While my subframe was out I realized my strut plates were pretty gross so I ordered some new ones.

I also didnt want to put the dirty old fuel filter bracket back in, so I ordered a new one, the fuel filter was just a bonus lol.

I wanted to clean up my motor mounts so prothanes were a must!

When I pulled my trans it was god awful so of course I had to clean it all up! And the mounts.

Now back to what I actually tore my car apart for in the first place. I wanted to weld some holes and fix some rust. I tried grinding and sanding down all the engine bay paint, but it was no use. So I turned to stripper. Brushed it on and within 2 minutes the paint just bubbled up.

Now for the rust spot. I roughly cut out some pieces to put in its place.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

This metal is super thin in some spots so tiny tack welds are all I could do.

I also didnt want to put everything back together with ugly looking wells, and I wanted to prevent them from rusting anymore so I cleaned the hell out of them and sprayed them with rubberized coating.

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Haha yeah I wish I had a before picture... It was terrible! I want to see if I can buy a new dipstick and tube for it!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

Fuckin' hell man, you're doing some work. Good to see progress, would definitely like to check the car out whenever it's out and about, keep it up and hopefully you don't hit any snags.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Ha thanks man. Im trying to not skip anything! Trying to keep this shell on the road for as long as possible! Would hate to see it go to shit. Hopefully Ill have it long enough for me to graduate and really be able to spend some money on it making it my own! Hopefully when I have it finished Ill be able to help show that not all dsms owned by teenagers arent beat to shit! I plan on taking it to Mitsubishi Owners Day in Normal, Illinois at the Mitsu plant this summer!

1 - 20 of 282 Posts