DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed the Big 16G turbo that was ported by people at road race. They also ported by O2 housing and exhaust manifold. Well, it feels relly good after 3500rpm and hold boost like crazy. Since I am using stock fuel pump and injector, I am running 0.8 bar. I got to say it feel alot better than T25. Here is my question, is there any way to get rid of the boost lag. Everytime I race, I got to do catch up!! Is there a way i can start off faster?? I have an AWD but automatic >_<, any comment would help, thank you!!

------------------

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't know much about automatics, but check out "Launching a FWD Non Turbo Auto Talon " in the "racing" forums here at dsmtalk. Im sure you could use a similar technique.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You are going to need a new torque converter sooner or later with the increased power you are craving. I am quite sure the fast automatic DSM's are using aftermarket, higher RPM stalls as well.
I heard autos shift hard with better torque converters as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
practice spooling the turbo. with your left foot firmly on the brake ,press and release the gas peddle in a rapid movement with your right foot . as you are doing this you will see the boost rising keep it up until you hit the boost you want then release the brake put the gas to the floor and walla. you should take off like a bat out [email protected]
dont get discourged it might take some pracite but if my girlfriend can do it anyone can! :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I used to have a 91 gsx at that ran really low 13s could have gone 12.9s with a bit more tuning but that is beside teh point. You are going to need a whole performance tranny, the TC will only help launching because it stalls higher and help shift feel but then you need a valve body hydro recalibration to cool ot down quicker and for more responsive shifts also. Then you blow the tranny..lol... If you wanna launch it smash the foot brake and then teh gas all the way until the car feels like its gonna go then remove teh foot brake. Only way to rid a little lag but also remember its not really lag on the AT beacuse you will be launching with about 8-12 psi, its more of a the tranny trying to put down the power with the stock converter. ANy thing else ask me cause I can tell you it all, But ATs are to much of a project for me.
PS...STay away from level10 trannies they suck on our cars

------------------

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank for all the info!! Actually I know how to power brake, I think that is what they call it. Step on the brake and gas the same time and release brake when it turn green. With the AWD and T-25 turbo it launches great at 1.3 bar. However, with the Big 16G, using the power brake and launch at 0.8 bar, it feels a lot weaker than the T-25 until you hit 3500-4000 rpm. Is it because I am running lower boost or I need to get a better torque converter?? Also, when I power brake, my rpm stops around 2800-3000, is there anyway to bring it higher?? Any info would help!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by turboevolution2000:
Thank for all the info!! Actually I know how to power brake, I think that is what they call it. Step on the brake and gas the same time and release brake when it turn green. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that's power-braking.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>With the AWD and T-25 turbo it launches great at 1.3 bar. However, with the Big 16G, using the power brake and launch at 0.8 bar, it feels a lot weaker than the T-25 until you hit 3500-4000 rpm. Is it because I am running lower boost or I need to get a better torque converter?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fact that you're running lower boost wouldn't affect it. In fact, the Big 16G should be making more power at lower boost than your T25. I would hazard a guess that since the Big 16G is a signigicantly larger turbo than the T-25, the exhaust gases at the same given rpm aren't able to spool the turbo as high as they could with the T-25. It's the same reason that your boost kicks in later with the Big 16G, the same given amount of exhaust gases (at ~ 3000 rpm) can't spool the larger turbo as high as they could the smaller one.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Also, when I power brake, my rpm stops around 2800-3000, is there anyway to bring it higher?? Any info would help!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that's what the higher-stall torque converter will do, raise the rpm at which you can launch.

-------------
1993 Forest Talon AWD - modified

·
Registered
74 Posts
hey, i was thinking about putting a big 16G on my 97 tsi awd auto, so i was wondering if you can tell me the major differences between the t25 and 16G on your car(spool up, top end, low end) anything relevent. thanks.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hey auto guys, I hope you've visited www.at.dsm.org already. They have an AT mailing list, and lots of people on there that's done LOTS with an auto. Typical upgrades for an auto with big turbo,
1. End clutches
2. TC
3. Valve body mods, aka shift kits.
Good luck modding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, Big 16 turbo is definitely worth it if you run 17-18psi. I am running around 11-12psi because I am running stock fuel system. Turbo lag is really bothering me but after 3500rpm, the turbo feels better than the small T-25 at 20psi. So I would recommend buying the turbo but also buy fuel pump and injectors too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts