DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my 2g with the Big 16G turbo. But my question is, what other things should I changed along with the new turbo (ie fuel pump, fuel injectors, etc..?). And will I pass smog with these upgrades? Thanks for the info.
Ray

Mods: 3" Thermal exhaust, Greddy TypeS, BOV dump tube mod, MBC, sprint lowering springs, Strut bars, K&N filter, HKS timer, boost gauge, custom 17" rims.

[This message has been edited by spltscnd98gst (edited September 12, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
I don't think you absolutely need anything else to run the 16g but you will do alot better with some supporting hardware. To run any more boost than 16# you will definately need an upgraded fuel pump. To really feel the gain a down pipe will help alot. You won't need injectors right away most likely but you will in the near future and more mods. You should have no problem with smog as long as you are using a cat and not a test pipe ( which is great for power and spool time!)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I was always confused between the terms down pipe and test pipe? are those two the same thing? Also, if I get a FMIC with the 16G, will I lose boost? Someone mentioned that to me before but I never got to ask more details about it. Thanks again for the info.

Ray

·
Registered
129 Posts
A downpipe is the pipe that starts from the turbo to the cat. A testpipe is a pipe that replaces the cat (also known as offroad pipe because it's illegal tu use one on the street).

A FMIC might have some psi drop but believe me a FMIC will give you more horsepower, plus you can turn the boost a little bit more because you will have a cooler intake charge. So I think the psi drop is irrelevant when considering the power gain.

------------------
'92 Talon TSi FWD
K&N cut air can, DDP mbc @ 15 psi
[email protected] 2.5 60ft

·
Registered
729 Posts
Most of the bar/plate type intercoolers have minimal pressure drop and definetly less drop than the stock. There is a differant problem with large intercoolers though. Your boost response will be diminished with a larger intercooler. when you are pressurizing the air between the turbo and the manifold, the more volume you have to fill, the longer it will take to pressurize the manifold. The effect would be similar to that of added turbo lag.

Just to get an idea of how inefficient the stock intercooler is, i have temperature probes in my upper ic and right after the mas. While excelerating WOT on to the interstate to day with 17lbs of boost my intake temps were around 80degrees and my charge air temps right before the manifold hit 150 degrees at full boost in third. This is terrible. I have heard of bar/plate intercoolers being able to cool charge air to within 15 to 20 degrees of ambient temps @15psi. That would be 50 degree cooler air, and would certainly equate to higher hp.

[This message has been edited by gsxalex (edited September 13, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
When I added the ApexI fmic last year I felt very little increased lag even with the miles and miles of ic pipes that the kit comes with. I think the main gain I got from the jintercooler was the ability to run 19-20# on 93 octane pump gas with little to no knock.

------------------
1995 Talon TSI fwd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts